Capturing JPG and RAW, are both really necessary?

Greg

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
Out of habit I have always recorder Raw and JPG files on cameras capable of it. It was convenient to have the JPG's ready straight out the camera. With the R5 the combined files size is almost 45 Mb, about 10 is for the JPG.

It is so easy to convert RAW to JPG with software I am wondering if there is any point in recording JPG. It could help with capture speed and possible heat, and I save space on the media.

What do you do, capture both, one or the other?

I used to do both like you. However, about a year ago I just started capturing RAW only since I was never using the JPG.

Both until recently. In the old days ;) the software was the roadblock and it was faster to cull JPEGS. Not a problem any longer.

Out of habit I have always recorder Raw and JPG files on cameras capable of it. It was convenient to have the JPG's ready straight out the camera. With the R5 the combined files size is almost 45 Mb, about 10 is for the JPG.

It is so easy to convert RAW to JPG with software I am wondering if there is any point in recording JPG. It could help with capture speed and possible heat, and I save space on the media.

What do you do, capture both, one or the other?

I still have to do capture RAW + JPG small because Apple and Canon won't communicate and allow thumbnail previews of .CR3 files. Consequently, I have to use the jpgs to know which image is which until I'm done processing, then I delete the original jpgs when I transfer files from my hard disk to my external.

Folder.jpg

This might help

Thanks, Greg. Like so much of Apple's support, it works for a lot of people, but not for all. This doesn't apply for the Canon R5 and R6 files. When you get there, the option to use the RAW files is grayed out. You can see the photos in the native Photos app, just not in the folders like the screen shot above, which is where I need to see them for the original culling. Eventually Canon will send Apple whatever they need to decrypt the thumbnails so that we can see them, but by then we'll probably be on to another operating system. LOL

ScreenShot.jpg

How about getting a windows 10 computer for photography? I recently bought a used i9 16Gb RAM 500Gb SSD 18 inch for a tad under £400

How about getting a windows 10 computer for photography? I recently bought a used i9 16Gb RAM 500Gb SSD 18 inch for a tad under £400

Thanks, but you couldn't pay me enough to go back to Windows. We've got three of them in the house I won't touch as it is. I just bought this M1 16gb SSD MBP two months ago JUST for my photography, I can deal with a few jpg thumbnails for now. I've got another older MBP, a 21" iMac and a 27" iMac. I've got all the 'puter power I need. 😁

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back