Choice of Editing Software ?

I use Photoshop and Lightroom. The £9.00 pm subscription is very reasonable for what you get. The new neural filters are amazing

I use Photoshop and Lightroom. The £9.00 pm subscription is very reasonable for what you get. The new neural filters are amazing
Plus you get a personal website with the plan. Portfolio.

Apple Photos as a library for iPhone photos

Dxo Photolab 5 for processing RAW files; Affinity Photo 2 (universal license) for photo editing and compositing. DxO ViewPoint and FilmPack are on hand.

Adobe CS3, 5, and 6 are available on legacy Macs if/when needed.

Last edited:
I used lightroom classic for almost a year. Then i tried Canon photo pro and saw that was doing a very good job. But Canon photo pro is to often saying not responding so i had a look on the internet and now evaluating ON1 Photo RAW 2023 and looks like that is as good as lightroom
I tried Topaz, DXO Pure Raw and ON1 for try out period to compare. I found DXO to be marginally the best, Topaz similar but very slow and ON1 to be the fastest and close enough to the other two. So I ended up with ON1 2023for the following reasons. Mainly it was way cheaper and bought outright. I don't like subscriptions. I'll get an update when it suits me and there are significant improvements which isn't usually annually! I like to load up single files and not catalogues of everything on the card which it easily does. It has a simple save as interface and not an overly complex "export" mode. It also has lens profiles and an extensive number of tonal adjustments plus a few interesting AI and sky presets if you like that sort of thing. So it is a complete package. The noise removal amount is very user adjustable. When I tried Pure Raw there wasn't much in the way of lowering the amount an I hate over sharpened and over noise removal n shots, especially wildlife. I believe DXO may have rectified this in later versions and they do probably give slightly "cleaner" results. I do have an earlier version of Topaz AI which I try from time to time on certain images. I also believe that things are very much subjective and each user has their own preferences for workflow etc. so it may not suit everybody but for me it was the best overall editing program. (I still have older PS elements and fairly recent Affinity but Camera Raw doesn't accept new files unless I convert to .DNG.

I tried Topaz, DXO Pure Raw and ON1 for try out period to compare. I found DXO to be marginally the best, Topaz similar but very slow and ON1 to be the fastest and close enough to the other two. So I ended up with ON1 2023for the following reasons. Mainly it was way cheaper and bought outright. I don't like subscriptions. I'll get an update when it suits me and there are significant improvements which isn't usually annually! I like to load up single files and not catalogues of everything on the card which it easily does. It has a simple save as interface and not an overly complex "export" mode. It also has lens profiles and an extensive number of tonal adjustments plus a few interesting AI and sky presets if you like that sort of thing. So it is a complete package. The noise removal amount is very user adjustable. When I tried Pure Raw there wasn't much in the way of lowering the amount an I hate over sharpened and over noise removal n shots, especially wildlife. I believe DXO may have rectified this in later versions and they do probably give slightly "cleaner" results. I do have an earlier version of Topaz AI which I try from time to time on certain images. I also believe that things are very much subjective and each user has their own preferences for workflow etc. so it may not suit everybody but for me it was the best overall editing program. (I still have older PS elements and fairly recent Affinity but Camera Raw doesn't accept new files unless I convert to .DNG.
I'm not trying to change you mind but for other readers. You don't have to have catalogues of everything on the card. I may come home with 100 files but just save 9. I pre-cull before importing into LrC or you can cull after. The catalogue and the files are completely separate. I'd have the same base file structure for any developer I would use. The catalogue is just a database that works on the side that keeps a record of your adjustments. Since it is a database it uses very little storage space. You don't know it's even there.

ON1 is on my list of backups if I ever decide to drop Adobe.

Photo Mechanic for ingest, Lightroom for most edits, Photoshop on very rare occasions for personal work.

Lately been playing with Narrative to cull bursts.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back