General Full-Frame Do you use Fv?

BasilFawlty

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ψ
I’ve seen a lot of discussions on other forums about Fv mode on Canon R-cameras. Some people seem to dismiss it as a gimmick and a “solution” in search of a problem. For the longest time, I pretty much ignored Fv mode, but recently have been playing with it and find it can be quite useful.

For general walking around town shooting, I tend to prefer Av mode, but I now have my C1 programmed for wild life, with triple back button focus, and Fv mode. I will admit that at first I thought it was kinda gimmicky, but have since come to realize it is really just a very convenient way to quickly change from Aperture priority to Shutter Priority, or ISO auto or ISO specific, or even full manual. Most of the time, I prefer Av mode, but when I’m shooting birds and wildlife at the Bosque, for example, I like to be able to quickly change modes without needing to remove my eye from the view finder. Yes, there are other ways to change modes, but the Fv mode really just makes for a faster, easier way to switch between modes to account for quickly changing scenarios. And a short press of the trash can will reset back to auto, whatever setting your have selected (Av, Tv, Ex Comp, ISO) while a longer press of the trash icon will reset all items back to auto.

It does take some getting used to, but once I figured it out, I’ve found it to be very useful in certain situations. Just curious if other use Fv mode and, if so, how do you use i t and in what situations?

I use it on my R7s for wildlife. Usually sits on EC for highlight control, but it's so easy to dial in more shutter speed or deeper DOF.
But then, I'm one of those crazy fools who actually like the way the R7 is designed. :)

I use Fv as my standard setting in all situations because it lets me choose whatever mode I want on the fly, from full auto to full manual, without taking my eye from the viewfinder. Maybe it's my age (60+) and maybe it's because I learned on a full manual film camera many years ago, but I find that I easily get confused about what settings are available if I use the dial to switch from Av to Tv to M. And I get less confused when all four settings - shutter, aperture, exposure, and ISO - are always available. I've also customized the AF-ON button to toggle between One-Shot and Servo AF, the star * button toggles eye tracking, and the M-Fn button selects the AF point mode. If I create any other custom settings, I can never remember what they are once I get out in the field! 🤪

For birds, I'm in M and usually shooting wide open with the R7 and 100-500L. I will spin the main dial to boost the shutter speed for BIFs, or lower it if the light is dim. Sometimes I will change the exposure compensation.

When I do macro, I use the 100L at f/11 or 13 and pretty well nothing changes except for the flash power.

I also do people photography with the R5, with a trigger to fire the flashes. I'm in M at f/8 and 100 ISO for all the shots.

Would there be a benefit to me using Fv?

I'm in Fv all the time, except for general birds settings, which I have on C1. For me it combines the best of all modes, and often ends up as manual + auto ISO. Wouldn't be without it...

I'm in Fv all the time, except for general birds settings, which I have on C1. For me it combines the best of all modes, and often ends up as manual + auto ISO. Wouldn't be without it...
I use in in certain circumstances, but the more I use it the more I like it. May end up just making it my default mode, since it's really like having all modes combined into one.

Well, now I feel like a bit of a fool. I never noticed FV or just passed it by. I had idea what you guys were on about so looked it up in the manual.

I'm sold on FV now. Thanks all

Well, now I feel like a bit of a fool. I never noticed FV or just passed it by. I had idea what you guys were on about so looked it up in the manual.

I'm sold on FV now. Thanks all
Don't feel bad. As I stated in my OP, I ignored Fv for a long time. Now I find it extremely useful and may even start using it all the time and not just in special circumstances.

I'm not a wildlife photographer, but this is one of the videos that sold me on using Fv.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali
Back