Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
So it seems that DxO Pure Raw now supports the R7 and R10. Quick work. I've not used it but I'm going to download the trial to see if all the fuss about it and its noise reduction capabilities is worth it.

I've been using Topaz Denoise AI and I'm happy with it, but not as happy as I've been with the full frame cameras. I'll do some testing on tricky images and report back as I have time.

I agree. I have even had some R7 Topaz Sharpen AI images that lost sharpness at the default settings. In particular, it seems to treat some eye pattern detail as noise and eliminate it. Other images seem to work OK. Today I sent my 50th image feedback in the hope that enough people report the problems so they get fixed. The images below include a section not reduced in size. Everything smooths out when reduced for online use. I continue to believe that the much smaller pixel size causes errors in depth of field to look worse than on cameras with fewer/larger pixels. These are f/11 which is flirting with diffraction but nowhere near enough DOF to suite a dragonfly shape.
00dragonflyA0609inset.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 800
00dragonflyA0620inset.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
  • 111.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 2000

I'm not as much a fan of Sharpen AI as Denoise AI, though a lot of people disagree with me. ;)

As for Pure Raw, I've attempted installing the trial three times now and each time I get an "Install Successful" message, and each time I cannot run the app, either standalone or as a plugin from Lightroom. I've contacted support so hopefully I get a response soon.

I really like Pure Raw although I have an issue with it on occasions. I am on a windows machine and if I don't run it soon after opening lightroom it will return a black image. It is a known issue that DXO says is because of other installed software. Many people (including me) doubt this because it runs fine if you just don't open lightroom at all, which defeats the purpose. If you delete the black image, restart the computer, open lightroom and immediately run the Pure Raw it will work just fine. Drives me crazy but I still like using it.

Were you using a tripod?
No. If I had known I was going to see dragonflies when I went out, I might have taken a monopod but Those were just test snaps trying to become familiar with the R7 buttons. The idea was to shoot unimportant things so I might have a better chance the next time I see something I want to shoot.

Downloaded v2.1 of the software. I like that I can change the suffix of the file name, it was making my bulky naming system even more bulky. It also seemed to fix my problem with the software, I haven't gotten a single black image. @Jake Shoots Birds have they gotten back to you yet? It took them 3 days to respond to my email a while back.

@Jake Shoots Birds have they gotten back to you yet? It took them 3 days to respond to my email a while back.
Initial response was pretty quick. They asked me to run something to gather up some system information and send it to them, which I did last week. On Sunday I got something saying it was "sent to our development team". Nothing since.

After 10 days it seems, "this is a complicated issue, we do not know when it will be solved quite yet". Seems installed software should be able to run. Not so complicated.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back