Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David Miller
City/State
Kirkland, WA
The water was perfectly flat, making a nice refection but the water was also super clear... Making for a interesting effect. Not completely sold. Thoughts
7E1A4512.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 15.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

I know what you mean, it's not quite got the punch.

There are a couple of things I notice, that make no difference to the overall effect of a great scene. The picture isn't completely vertical. The horizon is almost dead centre , I would put it about 1/3 up or down. Because the water is so clear you have random rocks and bits drifting about and the shadow from behind you, not add to the mirror image.

Besides all of that something is missing. Chuck a rock in about half way between the rock on the right and the bottom of the tree on the far side above the rock. Let the ripples spread over half the width of the scene. Photoshop an eagle swooping in. Wait for the sun to rise over the mountains. Float a bright yellow boat out.

Turn the picture up side down, see if anyone notices :)

Sorry. I'm not not being much help

The water was perfectly flat, making a nice refection but the water was also super clear... Making for a interesting effect. Not completely sold. Thoughts
View attachment 3512
I like it a lot. The colors looks good. I wish you could ha e gotten a wider angle to see more of mountains and tree line together OR get a perspective of either one separately. seeing a little more skyline would add to it.

I still like the shot.

View attachment 3512
I might suggest correcting the horizon (tilting right so the far end of the lake is horizontal), and then dodge the foreground (lake) and burn the hillside and sky a bit to more closely balance the values. I'm totally guessing as to what I might do. Not saying it's perfect or 'the' answer at all. And then break the rule and put the horizon in the middle so it's an equal composition (top/bottom). The other option I might try is to crop 16:9, first taking off the bottom, then taking off the top. Doing this may bring more of a focal point. Looks like a fabulous spot and worth a return however! Nice job!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back