PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
We hope you have fun making wonderful images this month!

Stay safe and well…

Phil and Karen 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

——

Any R System images (stills or movies) can be posted. If you would like to say something about them in terms of the subject, settings, or post-processing, that will be very welcome.

Remember, you don't have to only post things you took this month - sometimes people don't get around to processing/ editing images straight after shooting them. (Think of it more as an ‘images I’d like to post here this month’ thing). Images taken with non-R System lenses are also very welcome - this adds to the interest and diversity.

Images posted here will also be available to view in a dedicated Monthly R System Images Galley, which can be found by clicking Here.

Commenting on other people’s posts is encouraged, as it keeps everyone interested and coming back. (Please aim to be considerate, thoughtful and constructive).

We’ll aim to provide some feedback too - but please note we are away for part of each month and busy with ‘life stuff’. The lack of a comment from us is not a sign of disfavour!

Finally, please post in accordance with the RF Shooters Community Guidelines.

Thank you!

Some images from our recent visit to Portmeirion, Gwynedd, Wales.

(Shot raw and processed with: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panels).

You can read about Portmeirion by clicking Here and The Prisoner at Portmeirion by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. In 1925, Welsh architect Clough Williams-Ellis acquired the site which was to become Portmeirion, but the history of Portmeirion started long before then, with the construction of Castell Deudraeth recorded in 1188.

RF-S-PM-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 45.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800

2. Portmeirion was built in 2 stages: from 1925 to 1939 its most distinctive arts and crafts style buildings were erected, while from 1954-76 works were classical or Palladian style. Several of the buildings were salvaged from demolition sites, giving rise to Clough's description of the place as ‘a home for fallen buildings’.

RF-S-PM-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 53.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 4000

3. The Town Hall, also known as the Hercules Hall, was completed in 1938. The ceiling is from the banqueting hall at Emral Hall, Maelor in Flintshire, Wales, which Clough bought (for £13!) just before it was demolished in 1936.

RF-S-PM-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

4. The Gatehouse was built on the existing rock formations, with the interior design being influenced by Brian Epstein, manager of The Beatles, who regularly stayed here in the 1960’s.

RF-S-PM-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 31.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

5. Portmeirion was the backdrop for the 1960's cult classic TV series ‘The Prisoner’ starring Patrick McGoohan, who not only starred as ‘Number 6’ but was also the creator and driving force behind it. (Fans still hold annual Prisoner Conventions here with events including the Election Parade and Human Chess).

RF-S-PM-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 400

6. White Horses, an 18th century fisherman’s cottage, is where Patrick McGoohan and his family stayed when filming The Prisoner 1966-67. (The infamous 19th-century murderer Hwntw Mawr also stayed here!).

RF-S-PM-6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 800

(Sources: Portmeirion, Wikipedia).

Last edited:

Who's the handsomest bird on the beach?

Australian Ibis : Threskiornis molucca
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 420.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 800

Australian Ibis : Threskiornis molucca
Sandgate, Queensland

Our white ibis has a reputation as a 'garbage tip turkey' or a 'bin chicken' – blame the humans – so it was a joy to see this specimen on the tidal flats of Moreton Bay behaving like a proper wild animal rather than a suburban scrounger.

Last edited:

(Shot raw and processed with: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panels).

You can read about Portmeirion by clicking Here and The Prisoner at Portmeirion by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen
Great set Phil, and I thought that this town was the model for the exterior shots in the Prisoner (and you confirmed it). Great photos and great show.

Phil and Karen

1. In 1925, Welsh architect Clough Williams-Ellis acquired the site which was to become Portmeirion, but the history of Portmeirion started long before then, with the construction of Castell Deudraeth recorded in 1188.

View attachment 21421

2. Portmeirion was built in 2 stages: from 1925 to 1939 its most distinctive arts and crafts style buildings were erected, while from 1954-76 works were classical or Palladian style. Several of the buildings were salvaged from demolition sites, giving rise to Clough's description of the place as ‘a home for fallen buildings’.

View attachment 21423

3. The Town Hall, also known as the Hercules Hall, was completed in 1938. The ceiling is from the banqueting hall at Emral Hall, Maelor in Flintshire, Wales, which Clough bought (for £13!) just before it was demolished in 1936.

View attachment 21427

4. The Gatehouse was built on the existing rock formations, with the interior design being influenced by Brian Epstein, manager of The Beatles, who regularly stayed here in the 1960’s.

View attachment 21429

5. Portmeirion was the backdrop for the 1960's cult classic TV series ‘The Prisoner’ starring Patrick McGoohan, who not only starred as ‘Number 6’ but was also the creator and driving force behind it. (Fans still hold annual Prisoner Conventions here with events including the Election Parade and Human Chess).

View attachment 21431

6. White Horses, an 18th century fisherman’s cottage, is where Patrick McGoohan and his family stayed when filming The Prisoner 1966-67. (The infamous 19th-century murderer Hwntw Mawr also stayed here!).

View attachment 21425

(Sources: Portmeirion, Wikipedia).
What a beautiful set of images. As always it fires up my desire to come across and spend some time in these lovely places!

The image is from a while back but the processing is today. Sunrise at Sandals Royal Bahamian. I have to say, I've visited quite a few of the Sandals resorts and sadly I think this one was the least photogenic of them all. Partly I think this is because of the weather but it's also there wasn't much to photograph on resort and being lazy (and it being insanely hot in August) we didn't go into Nassau itself.
2023_08_SandalsRoyalBahamian-10420-Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
  • 37.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 800

Great set Phil, and I thought that this town was the model for the exterior shots in the Prisoner (and you confirmed it). Great photos and great show.
Hi Mike,

Cheers - much appreciated!

Yes, if you're a fan of the show (like us) you can't wander very far at Portmeirion without your mind conjuring up a scene and a choice phrase - or two.

Whether you're a guest at one of the hotels, self catering cottages, or campsite, the TV feeds include a channel showing a 24/7 re-run of The Prisoner.

(Even without any knowledge of the series, the village, estuary and grounds provide visitors with truly extraordinary architecture and beautiful scenery).

P&K

The image is from a while back but the processing is today. Sunrise at Sandals Royal Bahamian. I have to say, I've visited quite a few of the Sandals resorts and sadly I think this one was the least photogenic of them all. Partly I think this is because of the weather but it's also there wasn't much to photograph on resort and being lazy (and it being insanely hot in August) we didn't go into Nassau itself. View attachment 21437
Hi Hali,

A beautiful tropical break of dawn capture with foreground interest, dramatic clouds and those attention catching projections reaching up into the sky.

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back