Other Off to Africa

We'll see! ;)
When you are old and your joints creak, you tend to value the creature comforts. Also in my experience, when you have good guides/drivers you get better pics as they know where to go, and you can shoot while driving and not have to watch where you are going. The professional guides i have used, know where the best sightings can be and are skilled in putting the vehicle (or boat) in the right place for great shots. If I was 30 years younger, I would consider a self drive, but only after i went to a place with pro guides to learn the layout. I'm 75 and my partner is 77. Will have 34 game drives in 21 days, and access to several hides/bunkers at waterholes.

As an aside, this may be my last trip so going full bore luxury. Top camps with full board (drinks included), people to handle luggage and gear, boats with built in photo gimbals, and bunkers for low level shots, vehicles with battery chargers, and photo "experts" with drivers who will stay in a location as long as you want, and will maneuver the custom fit vehicle into cuts and ravines where i would not go. And importantly, top level insurance to handle any contingency, medical, to lost or damaged gear.

An example:

Notes: Includes:
Full board and accommodation in en-suite, air-conditioned rooms or Double safari tent
All meals (brunch, high tea and dinner) and drinks (wine, local beers, soft drinks and spirits)
Twice daily photo safari activities (photo boat or game drive)
Cameras, lenses, tuition by resident photo host and memory cards supplied
Afternoon image review and editing sessions.
Park fees and bed levies

YMMV.

Leaving Thursday, can't wait. It will probably take 2 months to fully edit and process photos. But, I will barrage this group with them asap.

And importantly, top level insurance to handle any contingency, medical, to lost or damaged gear.
Am I understanding you correctly that this is included in the package price or are these necessary options?

@RedCobra I can assure you my answer above was tongue in cheek!
As previously also mentioned I hope you have a fantastic trip , I'm sure you will and it will indeed be interesting to compare how we get on.
Don't write yourself off at a mere 75 though... I'll be 71 by the time I get back and having had spinal surgery I am quite familiar with the pains of growing old. The light weight of my R5 and 100-500 have certainly extended my photography potential although I will be taking my 500mm f4 along too.
My other half is a mere 56 but she too would more than appreciate the level of creature comfort you mention although personally a clean bed and a private loo is all I need.
Our last self drive was purely in Kruger and even I got a bit bored towards the end as the game was becoming a bit thin on the ground in the far north but we had been on the road for 28 days. This time we are away for longer but also staying in some more luxurious accommodation between the game parks and ending up with 12 days in St Lucia where my wife can lie on a sunbed to her hearts content while I'm off in the car.
There are obvious differences between safaris in a private reserve and a national park. You are not allowed off road in a national park for starters and that limits access to game viewing, on the other hand Kruger is a vast park which is very well populated with game, particularly in the south but that means it can also get busy at times, but there again I have seen the scenes from the Masai Mara and that is most definitely not for me.
I too will post some shots when I get back but that isn't until September. My top three target species to see is 1)Pangolin 2) Porcupine 3) Honey Badger. I doubt I'll get the first , probably not the second but should get the third. Be interesting if you see them too.
all the best. Dave

Good luck to both of you, and I must say I'm quite jealous. An African safari is on my wife's bucket list, but the cost is a little difficult to swallow at this point (she too is "fond" of the more luxurious accommodations, which just increases the cost).

Have a safe trip and I can't wait to see your photos.

@RedCobra I can assure you my answer above was tongue in cheek!
I will be taking my 500mm f4 along too.
My top three target species to see is 1)Pangolin 2) Porcupine 3) Honey Badger. I doubt I'll get the first , probably not the second but should get the third. Be interesting if you see them too.
all the best. Dave
Best to you also.
I wish I could take a 500 or 600 prime with me, but the weight restrictions on the bush planes negate that (unless you pay for a "freight" seat, and the international flight is another issue.) Next time (I hope) I am going to look into shipping a big white to the primary bush hotel/site ahead of time.
My travel partner is a photographer also and has his own gear so I can't off load a big white on him.

Since I am going with Pangolin photo tours, I really hope I'll see a Pangolin. LOL

Best to you also.
I wish I could take a 500 or 600 prime with me, but the weight restrictions on the bush planes negate that (unless you pay for a "freight" seat, and the international flight is another issue.) Next time (I hope) I am going to look into shipping a big white to the primary bush hotel/site ahead of time.
My travel partner is a photographer also and has his own gear so I can't off load a big white on him.

Since I am going with Pangolin photo tours, I really hope I'll see a Pangolin. LOL
Self drive from the international airport..it's the way to go!!

Amazingly flying to Africa we get 2 x 23kg hold luggage each passenger it's only 1x 23kg everywhere else with both Emirates and Qatar.

Good luck to both of you, and I must say I'm quite jealous. An African safari is on my wife's bucket list, but the cost is a little difficult to swallow at this point (she too is "fond" of the more luxurious accommodations, which just increases the cost).

Have a safe trip and I can't wait to see your photos.
The Rand is weak and the US dollar strong, now has never been a better time to travel to South Africa. The type of Safari and accommodation is very varied. My own choice is self drive and staying within the Kruger national park but it is possible to stay outside the park where more luxurious accommodation can be found then you can travel in to the park on a daily basis. You can also book guided trips on a daily basis too.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back