Birds Which Telephoto Zoom?

Got it. Yes, that would had been a better composition. I don’t know how I missed that point.
I only have the photograph to look at. You, on the other hand, have the moment you took it, the voices, sounds, the wind, chirps, the excitement of being in the midst of nature. When you look at it, you have all those inputs making you relive that moment. Some famous photographers don't even look at the pictures they take for a few weeks or more to distance themselves from the moment and see only the photograph. With this long-winded reply, I am suggesting that it may be easy to miss a different crop. If and when you try it, you may hear just the bird.

The best part to me is the branch the bird is perched on, starting with the part excluding the squiggly twigs and ending where the other edge of the branch meets the diagonal corner opposite that. It is just an opinion.
Something like this.
202309_CR7_2810-CR3 -1cropped.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 2000

I only have the photograph to look at. You, on the other hand, have the moment you took it, the voices, sounds, the wind, chirps, the excitement of being in the midst of nature. When you look at it, you have all those inputs making you relive that moment. Some famous photographers don't even look at the pictures they take for a few weeks or more to distance themselves from the moment and see only the photograph. With this long-winded reply, I am suggesting that it may be easy to miss a different crop. If and when you try it, you may hear just the bird.
You are absolutely right!

A little tighter, bring the lower left corner higher and the opposite corner lower. The branch will probably fit diagonally only at one point. The diagonal branch from corner to corner will also add a compositional element by touching the corners.

A little tighter, bring the lower left corner higher and the opposite corner lower. The branch will probably fit diagonally only at one point. The diagonal branch from corner to corner will also add a compositional element by touching the corners.
I’ll keep it in mind (I’m in my iPad now).

Thanks for the info. Last week I tried EFCS in H and didn't like it. I went back to S shutter and H. 15 is plenty for me. Also I can't stand how loud the shutter so while I'm not a huge fan of e shutter I'll take take that instead.
I totally get it, but I'm tired of images that managed to be sharp as a tack having subjects distorted by the sensor sweep. If I know I have a nearly stationary subject I'll go to silent, but those are also the times I don't need H+. Like I said, it's the promise of a great camera that is just really good for the $$.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back