Followers
Following
Name
Dean M
City/State
Manchester UK
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I read many articles on post processing and it amazes me how far we have come from the “good old days” when we chucked in a roll of 36 shot 200 iso film either colour or Black & White and made as many decisions as we could before clicking the shutter button.
It is quite the topic of conversation between myself and fellow snappers.
Some like to process their images almost to death, but others think post is sacrilege and what comes out of the camera shows the image and skill of the person pressing the shutter release.
So I thought I would throw it open to the forum and see what larger audiences think.
Personally I shoot mainly jpeg and this limits me to what I can and can’t do and only allows me to push so far in post processing.
How about you ?
Remember, no one is right or wrong, we all have our likes and dislikes.
Your thoughts…..

Personally, I’m of the belief that any processing should be kept to the bare minimum. Minor tweaks fine. Major tweaks (over processing) not so much. No tweaking (with Photoshop, etc.) is even better. It brings out the photographers expertise, with their camera/gear. Yes, todays cameras due process internally, but the photographer controls the processing through his/her settings and his/her view of subject (landscapes, portraits, etc.) Just my personal thoughts on the subject. Let the discussion begin.👍

This was shot with absolutely no post processing whatsoever.
Does it need tweaking ?

Attachments

• 81AAB191-96CE-44FE-B371-430EB9744A43.jpeg
    81AAB191-96CE-44FE-B371-430EB9744A43.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 78
Personally, I’m of the belief that any processing should be kept to the bare minimum. Minor tweaks fine. Major tweaks (over processing) not so much. No tweaking (with Photoshop, etc.) is even better. It brings out the photographers expertise, with their camera/gear. Yes, todays cameras due process internally, but the photographer controls the processing through his/her settings and his/her view of subject (landscapes, portraits, etc.) Just my personal thoughts on the subject. Let the discussion begin.👍
Thanks Barry
I really like your view, very much the same myself.
It’s a topic that really divides people, no right or wrong way as photography is very much an individuals opinion.
Thanks for starting this topic off.

This was shot with absolutely no post processing whatsoever.
Does it need tweaking ?
Your photo looks great and therefore, no post processing. You took the photo without the need to tweak/process (in photoshop, etc.). Very nicely done!👍

I struggle to find time to take photos these days let alone play around with them much in post. But I'd say for around 90% of my images I'm happy with how they look straight out of the camera. I will use DeNoise AI if it's a shot I really like but a little too noisy for my tastes, and occasionally I'll move the exposure/highlight/shadow sliders in LR but that's typically the extent of my post processing. I prefer the minimalist approach.

thought a prime requisite of a camera forum would be plenty of time to shoot photo
I struggle to find time to take photos these days let alone play around with them much in post. But I'd say for around 90% of my images I'm happy with how they look straight out of the camera. I will use DeNoise AI if it's a shot I really like but a little too noisy for my tastes, and occasionally I'll move the exposure/highlight/shadow sliders in LR but that's typically the extent of my post processing. I prefer the minimalist approac

I struggle to find time to take photos these days let alone play around with them much in post. But I'd say for around 90% of my images I'm happy with how they look straight out of the camera. I will use DeNoise AI if it's a shot I really like but a little too noisy for my tastes, and occasionally I'll move the exposure/highlight/shadow sliders in LR but that's typically the extent of my post processing. I prefer the minimalist approach.
I know the feeling of too little time Tim. Even though I’m retired!!!
I haven’t tried DeNoise AI but will check it out and maybe post an opinion.

I use whatever tools are needed to produce the photo I want. I always shoot full RAW. I do decode the RAW with a good RAW converter (Not LR). After that, whatever it needs......PS, Topaz, Nik, then convert to jpeg for social or web. I retain the RAW, DNG-DxO, TIF, and jpeg.
Hippo face (1 of 1).jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 5000

thought a prime requisite of a camera forum would be plenty of time to shoot photo
True! :) I was doing ok with time until kid number two came along this year, but things can only get better from now and there are definitely no plans for three of the little rascals.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back