Your R System Images - September 2024

Our most aggressive honeyeater?

If there's an intruder, these territorial nectar-sippers will see it off. They're our grevilleas: be gone!

Not closely related to the mynas of Asia.

Noisy Miner
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 8000

Canon R5m2 | RF 200–800
800 mm | ƒ/9 | 1/2000s | ISO 8000
30 frames/second | pre-continuous raw | ±7 metres
DxO PR3 | LrC | Ps

Noisy Miner : Manorina melanocephala
South East Queensland, Australia

Last edited:
Shooting a stranded jellyfish at 30 frames per second!

A senior moment indeed! What was I thinking? (Not much: next time just press that Mode button, David!)

After an hour traipsing across Moreton Bay's tidal flats, I gave up trying to photograph our recently returned waders. It was time to track down something that wouldn't fly off; fortunately, I found the perfect prey — a stranded jellyfish!

In my excitement, the R5m2 was left in BIF mode: pre-continuous raw at thirty frames per second. There was no way that this jellyfish was going to escape! Anyway, I needed to take a break and lie down on the beach for a while.

Blubber Jelly : Catostylus mosaicus
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 1600

Canon R5m2 | RF 200–800 | Skimmer Groundpod with Flexshooter
500 mm | ƒ/8 | 1/2500s | ISO 1600
30 frames/second | pre-continuous raw | ±5.5 metres (background 2 km)
DxO PR4 | LrC

Jelly Blubber : Catostylus mosaicus
Moreton Bay, Brisbane, Australia

Last edited:
My wife's car had to go into the shop today, so I dropped it off at 7 a.m. and planned to take a photo walk with the new-to-me EF 17-40L. But I started to experience muscle cramps in my lower back and only got a few shots. I hate getting old, but at least my mind thinks I'm 30 years younger.

2024_09_23_071040.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • EF17-40mm f/4L USM
  • 17.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800

Pied Oystercatcher joins me for breakfast on King Island.

Early this morning the seas parted, and I walked across 'dry land' to King Island in Moreton Bay.

After an hour or so photographing a Striated Heron (more on that little fellow later), I found a shady spot provided by a grove of casuarinas in which a White-breasted Woodswallow was gathering nesting material (more, etc. later).

My hot chocolate and muesli were scarcely finished, when this dapper oystercatcher wandered past, almost begging to have its portrait taken. I obliged.

The strange background colours are provided courtesy of Moreton Bay's sands – red on the mainland and cream from the huge sand islands separating the bay from the Coral Sea. The lens was pointed slightly down so that the tidal flats fifty metres away – not the marina at five kilometres – formed the background.

As always with pied birds my challenge, on the island and 'in post', was to retain feather detail at both ends of the histogram.

Pied Oystercatcher : Catostylus mosaicus
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 2500

Canon R5m2 | RF 200–800
500 mm | ƒ/8 | 1/2500s | ISO 2500
30 frames/second | pre-continuous raw | ±7.5 metres
DxO PR4 | LrC

Pied Oystercatcher : Haematopus longirostris
King Island, Moreton Bay, Queensland, AU

Last edited:
Pied Oystercatcher joins me for breakfast on King Island.

Early this morning the seas parted, and I walked across 'dry land' to King Island in Moreton Bay.

After an hour or so photographing a Striated Heron (more on that little fellow later), I found a shady spot provided by a grove of casuarinas in which a White-breasted Woodswallow was gathering nesting material (more, etc. later).

My hot chocolate and muesli were scarcely finished, when this dapper oystercatcher wandered past, almost begging to have its portrait taken. I obliged.

The strange background colours are provided courtesy of Moreton Bay's sands – red on the mainland and cream from the huge sand islands separating the bay from the Coral Sea. The lens was pointed slightly down so that the tidal flats fifty metres away – not the marina at five kilometres – formed the background.

As always with pied birds my challenge, on the island and 'in post', was to retain feather detail at both ends of the histogram.

View attachment 31739

Canon R5m2 | RF 200–800
500 mm | ƒ/8 | 1/2500s | ISO 2500
30 frames/second | pre-continuous raw | ±7.5 metres
DxO PR4 | LrC

Pied Oystercatcher : Haematopus longirostris
King Island, Moreton Bay, Queensland, AU

Nice capture. I don't have that one yet.

My favorite shot from a Bertah band shoot two weeks ago. Also one of my first uses of Denoise. Shot at 12800 ISO. Results pleased me.

Bertha Denoised.jpg

OK, got a question: Color temp here is off from my color managed monitor. I double checked and have all the Firefox hidden settings to respect color space and it tests working. So what might be the issue where the color shifts uploading here? Of course, could be my image, but I exported in sRGB from Lightroom and should be what I expect to see.

Would love to solve that one.

I'll look at this thread in another browser just to see,

VERY interesting. it looks right in Edge!!! Got some sleuthing to do...

UPDATE: Got it. Seems I was forcing a windows version sRGB ICC. Deleted that key and good to go. Glad I posted here tonight :) If interested, the key is : gfx.color_management.display_profile It needs to be blank it appears.

Light of morning update: It gets even odder. For images to match desktop lLightroom, the rest of the browser is subdued and fails one vcolor management test. Might be worth its own topic for Browser Color Management.

Last edited:
Break o' Day Stalker…

Striated Heron
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1600

Striated Heron : Butorides striata
Wellington Point, Moreton Bay, Queensland, AU

Before heading out across the tidal flats, I scanned the intertidal area for birdlife: gulls (of course), herons, ibises and a few (just a very few) of our migratory shorebirds. With the binoculars stowed for later, I headed for the seagrass patch which was not yet 'dry'. This was the area frequented by the herons.

A Striated Heron flew in, landed around twenty metres from me and, hunching up in its kind's trademark stalk mode, began its search in the golden dawn light for a fresh morsel to devour.

Break o' Day Stalker…

View attachment 31762

Striated Heron : Butorides striata
Wellington Point, Moreton Bay, Queensland, AU

Before heading out across the tidal flats, I scanned the intertidal area for birdlife: gulls (of course), herons, ibises and a few (just a very few) of our migratory shorebirds. With the binoculars stowed for later, I headed for the seagrass patch which was not yet 'dry'. This was the area frequented by the herons.

A Striated Heron flew in, landed around twenty metres from me and, hunching up in its kind's trademark stalk mode, began its search in the golden dawn light for a fresh morsel to devour.

Beautiful image, David!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back