To Post or not to Post - Your thoughts

Great conversation starter. One thing many people forget though is that the film was a one-shot capture of light. Nowadays modern digital cameras provide much post-processing of that light capture within the camera itself to include len correction, chromatic aberration, color shifting options, and other focus, and capture attributes not previously available in a "film camera". We need to remember that all our attempts to capture a moment in time are both influenced and enhanced by the tools used. A perfect example is the freedom and opportunities open up to even the purists with the advent and continuing improvement of the auto-focus capabilities of the new cameras. It is the advance of this technology, and the only way to capture true purist nostalgia is by shooting film. This is both challenging and informative. JMHO
I agree with what you have said, but I would take it a step further concerning film. Shooting positive film, slides, is a one shot capture of light as long as you are projecting the slide onto a screen. Negative film photography is a "two shot" process because the second shot is either the capture of the negative onto paper by either scanning and printing or a traditional, non digital printing process. The scanning or traditional chemical process printing are both post processing in a sense.

Having said the above, I think it is ok to do whatever you wish in terms of processing your image. If it pleases you then have at it, except in journalism or science etc. where integrity and honesty are of utmost importance. So it comes down to the question of "is the photograph art?"

My passion is wildlife photography and to be honest post processing is a necessity for me. I'd prefer not to because the fun for me is witnessing an event and capturing it in camera not sitting at my computer altering the image but I rarely have one I can't improve with a few subtle changes wether it be lighting adjustment to removing the odd twig or improving the catchlight in the eye. Just try and get your subject in the right position without cropping the image, it's not always easy!
To be honest I'm not sure what all the fuss is about anyway. Getting creative isn't just about using the camera, it can be a whole host of things from artificial lighting to setting up a shot by creating the right environment in the hope your subject is attracted to it.

Speaking purely from a personal perspective, I think the difference between a great photo and a fantastic photo is a judicious amount of post production. It is often the skill in post demonstrated that catches my eye... if that makes any sense. I know when a photo ha s been massaged, but its how well its been massaged that impresses me. If anyone could demonstrate that same result straight-off-camera, I's be flabergasted. This where it becomes ART in my view. YMMV :cool:

Speaking purely from a personal perspective, I think the difference between a great photo and a fantastic photo is a judicious amount of post production. It is often the skill in post demonstrated that catches my eye... if that makes any sense. I know when a photo ha s been massaged, but its how well its been massaged that impresses me. If anyone could demonstrate that same result straight-off-camera, I's be flabergasted. This where it becomes ART in my view. YMMV :cool:
I think the most important word in your post is "judicious". I can remember the over processed HDR photos from several years ago. They made me think I was having some sort of flashback from the 1980's....boy those were fun times. :cool:

I think the most important word in your post is "judicious". I can remember the over processed HDR photos from several years ago. They made me think I was having some sort of flashback from the 1980's....boy those were fun times. :cool:
With the advance in technology, HDR images are far more realistic and have a much better dynamic range than those of a few years ago. JMHO

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this one!
The Fox came early last night, so early I missed it at around 9.00pm.It returned at 11.30 when I had already fallen asleep in bed when the security light kicked in so it was a dash downstairs to grab the camera. 30 minutes later I had 3000 shots. Ridiculous but needed to try and get some worthwhile images. The challenges are low light using just the security lighting, shooting through double glazed windows that have Georgian bars built in so you have to shoot close to the glass and then there's the gear. My only suitable lens nowadays is my EF85mm f1.8 as my 70-200f2.8 was stolen, as was my 24-105mm f4. F4 though would not have allowed sufficient light so I'm stuck with the 85mm. Having had a previous session, this time I decided to push the boundaries using ISO8000 and above for some shots. This at least allows a slightly higher shutter speed and a slightly narrower aperture for better depth of field. The best light is closest to the window which is where the Fox is stood. It's a full frame image so the composition can't be altered...and neither could the position of the camera because of the window bars. It is what it is and I have to say I'm quite pleased. This particular lens is by far the cheapest one I have ever bought too!
The above was posted on my Flickr page. I attach three images.
1)The original as shot but converted to Jpeg in Photoshop
2)The original raw having been ran through Topaz de-noise and tweaked in Photoshop and converted to jpeg
3) No 2 above being substantially changed in PS to add better composition

I am by no means any more than an extreme amateur at post processing having only learnt the very basics.

Attachments

• _G7A8436 original.jpg
    _G7A8436 original.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 43
  • _G7A8436-DeNoiseAI-raw copy.jpg
    _G7A8436-DeNoiseAI-raw copy.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 42
  • _G7A8436-+copy.jpg
    _G7A8436-+copy.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 37
I'd be interested in your thoughts on this one!
The Fox came early last night, so early I missed it at around 9.00pm.It returned at 11.30 when I had already fallen asleep in bed when the security light kicked in so it was a dash downstairs to grab the camera. 30 minutes later I had 3000 shots. Ridiculous but needed to try and get some worthwhile images. The challenges are low light using just the security lighting, shooting through double glazed windows that have Georgian bars built in so you have to shoot close to the glass and then there's the gear. My only suitable lens nowadays is my EF85mm f1.8 as my 70-200f2.8 was stolen, as was my 24-105mm f4. F4 though would not have allowed sufficient light so I'm stuck with the 85mm. Having had a previous session, this time I decided to push the boundaries using ISO8000 and above for some shots. This at least allows a slightly higher shutter speed and a slightly narrower aperture for better depth of field. The best light is closest to the window which is where the Fox is stood. It's a full frame image so the composition can't be altered...and neither could the position of the camera because of the window bars. It is what it is and I have to say I'm quite pleased. This particular lens is by far the cheapest one I have ever bought too!
The above was posted on my Flickr page. I attach three images.
1)The original as shot but converted to Jpeg in Photoshop
2)The original raw having been ran through Topaz de-noise and tweaked in Photoshop and converted to jpeg
3) No 2 above being substantially changed in PS to add better composition

I am by no means any more than an extreme amateur at post processing having only learnt the very basics.
A case where minor edits are perfectly acceptable. Very nice capture and thanks for not posting the 3000 shots. LOL

A case where minor edits are perfectly acceptable. Very nice capture and thanks for not posting the 3000 shots. LOL
I have only just started;)😂
I notice that Topaz changed the colour which I wasn't too impressed with. If you didn't know I'd changed the composition would you notice?

I have only just started;)😂
I notice that Topaz changed the colour which I wasn't too impressed with. If you didn't know I'd changed the composition would you notice?
Not having too many foxes in my backyard, I wouldn’t have noticed the colour change. If your fox were, let’s say pink, I’m thinking I would have noticed.🤣🤣 have a great day!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back