Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Beginner Hobbyist and super computer literate.

Finding PL6 quite easy to use.

Next on list to try Capture One.

Am i going to give up LR who knows.

Any better or worse than each again who knows.

We are waiting to read your impressions.

I really enjoy using PL6 there are a lot of great features in it.

We are waiting to read your impressions.
first thing its easy to use. second im no expert. Found some presets have "done the job" 90% bit similar to LR "auto"

I bought DxO the minute Lightroom went subscription. Bought Affinity Photo at the same time to replace Photoshop. I have yet to find anything these two programs can't do (I was never a preset user so I didn't know if I was missing anything or not..)

I also have a handful of Topaz apps that I like but I don't use them much for my photography - mostly for my movie posters (don't ask - long story lol)..

I hate subscription models and haven't found one yet I couldn't ignore. hehe..

Other oddities I love are Radiant Photo, Luminar Neo, and JPEG Mini..

A few things about DXO. If you purchase PL6 today, PL7 will come out in 6 months and you won't get a free upgrade. They will honour a free upgrade if you buy it within 30 days of PL7's release. You don't have to get the upgrade but PL7 will without a doubt will have an improved version of DeepPrime XD.

DXO is not the only one that does that. Other perpetual license companies for that too as it's there annual l upgrade program. If someone considers to buy in the fall and can hold out a bit the BF sales are around the corner.

Nothing wrong with it. It's their business model. I just posted for awareness. I've seen people by PL in September and not be eligible for the upgrade six weeks later.

Subscription has never bothered me. I always updated PS and LR when the new releases came out. 3rd party apps and software too. PS was expensive back then. Looking at at my history with Adobe subscprion it didn't make difference. Now with Adobe Denoise there will be a few hundred extra in my pocket every year. The personal website that comes with the plan - Portfolio also helped with the decision. I dropped my Zenfolio subscription and that paid for the Adobe plan.

I had PL2 and 3 but never update to 4. I later used PureRaw instead. Another bit of awareness. PureRaw's upgrade cycle is March to March.

This post is perhaps somewhat of a thread drift and if inappropriate I request the mods to either move or delete it.

I too was a holdout when Adobe went subscription despite being a very early adopter of the program. I now think my reluctance was a bit silly and as that infers, I signed on to the new model when I found I couldn’t replace PS with the programs then available.

I say silly because we live in a subscription world. Many subscribe to Internet service. How about cell or landline service? A contract or mortgage on your home is the subscription model too. Does anybody use autopay for any regular service? How about paying off one’s credit card debt? Personal loans? HELOCs (US only)? All are identical to a subscription model and don't ever let you fall into the trap of buying a program in May and then finding you wish to buy it again in July because your upgrade time has expired by a week.

So what’s the resistance many of us, including me, felt when Adobe went from roughly yearly upgrades costing $X instead of a monthly fee costing $X/12? From my POV, if I can pay my ISP a monthly fee to post this message, I can pay Adobe a monthly fee to get regular and often excellent upgrades to a program I use (now) to pursue my only hobby.

Yes this thread is about PL6. Everybody has their views about that which are valid. Adobe just turned some people off and there is nothing you can do. I only made my first post to alert people to the timing of the PL6 purchase. Some won't care if they update in 6 months and others will.

All good. Will try capture one next guess as begginer wont tell the difference

Err origanal post should read 'Beginner Hobbyist and super computer ILLITERATE"

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back