Your Lightroom Classic Tips and Tricks...

Want to use LrC Denoise and Super Resolution on the same image when LrC only allows you to choose between one or the other? Here's how.

(I know that, as with most things, there are other software workflows but for people who want to do this 'impossible' LrC double-act - it works... :) ).

Phil
That's a neat trick.

I would love to be able to create macros for LrC. I.E. I load into LrC, then use DxO for NR (File>Plug-in Extras>Dxo PL7) then export from DxO back to LrC. I wish I could send my photo from LrC to DxO with one keystroke.

I’m trying to understand the benefit of this feature. It’s obvious what it’s job is. I went through that process which gave me a massive file, which was expected. I did a pretty massive crop using that file and matched that crop using the original Denoised DNG. In then I exported both at 1600 on the long side.

I didn’t see a whole lot of difference. Sometimes I thought the original DNG looked better. I’ll try it again on a different file.

I did try running that file through the Neural filter in PS which gives you more control but it would not save back to LrC so using that way just makes it more complex.

Too bad you could not apply RAW Details using that method. If Adobe made it possible to use more than one enhance option and beefed up RAW Details that could be the answer to a Sharpen AI module. Apply that first and then the traditional manual sharpening to finish up.

Last edited:
I would love to be able to create macros for LrC. I.E. I load into LrC, then use DxO for NR (File>Plug-in Extras>Dxo PL7) then export from DxO back to LrC. I wish I could send my photo from LrC to DxO with one keystroke.
You can’t do that with two keystrokes? Use the plug-in to send the file to PL and then export back to LrC? I must be missing something.

I’m trying to understand the benefit of this feature. It’s obvious what it’s job is. I went through that process which gave me a massive file, which was expected. I did a pretty massive crop using that file and matched that crop using the original Denoised DNG. In then I exported both at 1600 on the long side.

I didn’t see a whole lot of difference. Sometimes I thought the original DNG looked better. I’ll try it again on a different file.

I did try running that file through the Neural filter in PS which gives you more control but it would not save back to LrC so using that way just makes it more complex.

Too bad you could not apply RAW Data using that method. If Adobe made it possible to use more than one enhance option and beefed up RAW Data that could be the answer to a Sharpen AI module. Apply that first and then the traditional manual sharpening to finish up.
Hi Only RF,

I'm must confess I don't use Adobe Super Resolution (like you, I've found minimal benefits in testing), on the rare occasions I need to enlarge I'll use either Topaz Gigapixel AI or the enlarge feature in Topaz Photo AI.

However, I thought it may help someone - plus, it's always nice when someone says you can't do 'xxxxx' and someone else shows you how to do it...

:)

Phil

Hi RedCobra,

I have the same initial workflow. Having read your post I did quickly try creating a custom keyboard shortcut for LrC using the procedure suggested by The Lightroom Queen but I can't get it to work (technology eh?)... :rolleyes:

(Pity you can't record custom Actions in LrC like you can in Photoshop).

Phil

Hi Only RF,

I'm must confess I don't use Adobe Super Resolution (like you, I've found minimal benefits in testing), on the rare occasions I need to enlarge I'll use either Topaz Gigapixel AI or the enlarge feature in Topaz Photo AI.

However, I thought it may help someone - plus, it's always nice when someone says you can't do 'xxxxx' and someone else shows you how to do it...

:)

Phil
After your link was the second time I tried it. Glad I’m not the only one who noticed that. It’s always good to post new methods to do things. You never know who it will help.

Too bad you could not apply RAW Data using that method. If Adobe made it possible to use more than one enhance option and beefed up RAW Data that could be the answer to a Sharpen AI module. Apply that first and then the traditional manual sharpening to finish up.

Well how about that. RAW Dta

Too bad you could not apply RAW Details using that method. If Adobe made it possible to use more than one enhance option and beefed up RAW Details that could be the answer to a Sharpen AI module. Apply that first and then the traditional manual sharpening to finish up.

Well how do like that. It is greyed out but Enhance widow does apply RAW Details with Denoise. The Lightroom Queen crew got my old brain into gear on that one.

Eric Chan verifies it.

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2023/04/18/denoise-demystified

Screenshot-2023-12-03-at-10.38.05 AM.jpg

Can someone try this out. Using LrC pick a shot with lots of detail. Maybe a birds head, etc. Don't do anything to it. Turn Sharpening off. You can leave it on if you like or try both. As long as there is consistency between two files for this test.

1. Run it through Denoise AI. This step is not critical for this test. Up to you.

2. Crop to final size for web viewing. Not final output size, what you will post for others to see.

3. Right click and use the Edit in PS command. It will open as a TIFF.

4. In PS open Image - Image Size. Select the size you would normally post here. etc. 1600 on the long side for example. For Resample choose Preserve Details 2.0. Press OK and then "Save" which will send it back to PS as a TIFF.

5. For the TIFF. In LrC open the Export page and "uncheck" Image Sizing. For Output Sharpening use your normal settings and export.

6. For the DNG. In LrC open the Export page and "check" Image Sizing and match the size of the TIFF file. For example if the TIFF was 1600 on the long side then choose 1600. For Output Sharpening use the same settings you used for the DNG.

Compare the detail on both exported files and tell me what you think.

Last edited:
Can someone try this out. Using LrC pick a shot with lots of detail. Maybe a birds head, etc. Don't do anything to it. Turn Sharpening off. You can leave it on if you like or try both. As long as there is consistency between two files for this test.

1. Run it through Denoise AI. This step is not critical for this test. Up to you.

2. Crop to final size for web viewing. Not final output size, what you will post for others to see.

3. Right click and use the Edit in PS command. It will open as a TIFF.

4. In PS open Image - Image Size. Select the size you would normally post here. etc. 1600 on the long side for example. For Resample choose Preserve Details 2.0. Press OK and then "Save" which will send it back to PS as a TIFF.

5. For the TIFF. In LrC open the Export page and "uncheck" Image Sizing. For Output Sharpening use your normal settings and export.

6. For the DNG. In LrC open the Export page and "check" Image Sizing and match the size of the TIFF file. For example if the TIFF was 1600 on the long side then choose 1600. For Output Sharpening use the same settings you used for the DNG.

Compare the detail on both exported files and tell me what you think.

Hi Only RF,

A little more fine detail apparent with the PS workflow. (IMHO).

(Interestingly, the same was also apparent when starting with the DxO derived *.DNG file - my original workflow - and taking that through the PS workflow).

I quite often resize images in PS - but up to now only when producing multi-image compilations. Hmmm... :)

Phil

Typical LrC workflow...

LrC-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

Suggested PS workflow...

PS-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

Workflows compared (LrC vs PS)...

Compare-LrC-PS.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back