Your Lightroom Classic Tips and Tricks...

I am having a related problem, I think. Adobe seems to have changed the DNG compression, resulting in files I cannot view outside the Adobe ecosystem. I tried Windows File Explorer, FastStone, and XnViewer image viewers and none could display anything meaningful. My only DNG files, thankfully, are those that I merge into panoramas. Everything else is in their native formats.
Interesting, never noticed that before. My recent DNGs show with a heavy blue cast in Irfanview and are all wrong in FastStone, but seem to display fine in MS Photos.

Mine works fine with Mac Preview and Photos. I don't have any other viewers. Are yours the latest versions?

They went from JPEG to JPEG XL compression. I'll have to check that out.

From the Lightroom Queen's site

This is a little slower, but the quality is just as good, and the space savings are huge. This also affects files produced by the Enhance tool (Classic & Desktop), as well Merge to HDR and Panorama (Classic only… Desktop to follow), resulting in much smaller file sizes.
Yes, indeed. I can view the old DNG files, but not the new ones. This may be a Windows-related problem as a Mac user reported not having experienced it.

Mine works fine with Mac Preview and Photos. I don't have any other viewers. Are yours the latest versions?
All my applications are up to date, I double-checked and updated as needed. There is another odd behavior. Some DNG files do not display at all, some show a tiny thumbnail, some a little larger image, yet others may display in full but with the wrong colors. Even this varies from one app to another.

I also do not understand compressing RAW image files with "lossy" compressing. Do they still retain the color depth, color space, and "RAW" format with compression? Since I use DNG only when I stitch images into panoramas, I may end up doing them in Photoshop or an external software like PTGui.

OK, I updated Irfanview, and it now displays the photo - but it is a small version, around 1024 px wide (it varies a bit). And Photos seems to do the same.

Now after the Irfanview update, the association of JPG with Irfanview has been lost. I can't set it again either because when I go into PC Settings > Apps > Default apps, the JPG file type is missing. Always hassles with Windows (11). :mad:

Now after the Irfanview update, the association of JPG with Irfanview has been lost. I can't set it again either because when I go into PC Settings > Apps > Default apps, the JPG file type is missing. Always hassles with Windows (11). :mad:
Maybe you can try a workaround:
  1. In Windows File Explorer, right-click on a JPEG file
  2. Select "Choose another app"
  3. Select your app and click on "Always"

Maybe you can try a workaround:
  1. In Windows File Explorer, right-click on a JPEG file
  2. Select "Choose another app"
  3. Select your app and click on "Always"
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion, but that does not work, not in my case anyway. I don't claim to fully understand it, but Microsoft has rigged things so that MS Photos hogs the most popular image file types, and therefore they are not available to other apps.

It seems that if one has upgraded from earlier versions of Windows, and Irfanview was already installed and set up, it is able to retain its file associations. But with new installations, as my upgrade was, the file associations are lost and can't be created again, at least not with a default system.

The solution is to remove the app package for Photos. There is more info at

Microsoft is being extremely aggressive in steering users to its own software.

Want to use LrC Denoise and Super Resolution on the same image when LrC only allows you to choose between one or the other? Here's how.

(I know that, as with most things, there are other software workflows but for people who want to do this 'impossible' LrC double-act - it works... :) ).

Phil

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back