Your R System Images - August 2024

Images from a recent(ish) visit to Chester Zoo, Cheshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite and Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels - compilations are a combination of R7 - Karen and R5 - Phil).

Phil and Karen

1. What a lot of Giant Otter...

RF-SCz-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 363.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 640

2. Something's fishy here (don't tell the giant otters)...

RF-SCz-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 428.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

3. More aquatic musings...

RF-SCz-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

4. New pre-historic arrivals - Tuatara. You can read more about these creatures by clicking Here.

RF-SCz-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

5. What a bunch of cuties...

RF-SCz-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

6. An old hand and the new kid in town...

RF-SCz-6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

Hi David,

A terrific shot of a beautiful creature set in its natural environment. Wonderful feather detail and the perfect eye-pop.

Well seen and caught - thank you for sharing... :)

P&K
Thank you.

Our garden visitors :
Bring me some food (now!).

Juvenile Grey Butcherbird : Cracticus torquatus
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 6400

camera–subject : 9 metres
subject–background : 36 metres
Queensland, Australia

Last edited:

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite and Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels - compilations are a combination of R7 - Karen and R5 - Phil).

Phil and Karen

View attachment 30408

View attachment 30409

View attachment 30410

4. New pre-historic arrivals - Tuatara. You can read more about these creatures by clicking Here.

View attachment 30411

View attachment 30412

View attachment 30413
Another great set. I have to get to our zoo. I used to go when I got new gear but is has been a while. Bird eyes, beaks and head feathers are what I test on.

Covid shut down our local airshow for a few years. I never really liked this venue because the sun is to the left and it was mixed sun and cloud yesterday. Colours are always more flat when I shoot there. Very windy with pretty solid gusts made shooting 1/160 not very easy. Jets were OK with faster SS. I had heck of a time with WB so I gave up :) .

They sure get close

View attachment 30353View attachment 30354View attachment 30355

CF-18 and Lancaster

View attachment 30372

View attachment 30373
View attachment 30374
Just a follow up. The CF-18 was painted to commemorate 2024 being 100 years since the formation of the Royal Canadian Air Force. They said we would never see a jet and the Lancaster fly together again. I'm sure they meant at our local air show.

Kinda matched our hockey (NHL) team emblem.

Screenshot-2024-08-05-at-10.17.35 AM.jpg

Lovely shots. They're shy buggers, in my experience. I have been (close) to their major refuge - Stephens Island. It's off the top end of the South Island in Cook Strait. We sailed round it in summer 2019, but didn't land - you need a special Dept of Conservation license because it's predator-free. But they're doing well apparently. Difficult to avoid tripping over them at times, it's said... More here.

194A0620.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

Takapourewa / Stephens Island

Our garden visitors :
Bring me some food (now!).

View attachment 30420

camera–subject : 9 metres
subject–background : 36 metres
Queensland, Australia

Hi David,

A terrific capture - excellent subject isolation, fine feather detail and superb eye-pop, with a very pleasing pose.

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Another great set. I have to get to our zoo. I used to go when I got new gear but is has been a while. Bird eyes, beaks and head feathers are what I test on.
Hi Only RF,

Cheers - much appreciated! We really enjoy zoo visits - always a huge variety of creatures to photograph, plenty of challenges (including the inevitable wire fences and thick zoo glass) and they're great places to tweak settings, practice - and have fun.

(You may have noticed we're regular visitors to Chester Zoo, where we're members, and we'll often weave this venue into our travels - a great chill-out).

:)

P&K

Lovely shots. They're shy buggers, in my experience. I have been (close) to their major refuge - Stephens Island. It's off the top end of the South Island in Cook Strait. We sailed round it in summer 2019, but didn't land - you need a special Dept of Conservation license because it's predator-free. But they're doing well apparently. Difficult to avoid tripping over them at times, it's said... More here.

View attachment 30437
Takapourewa / Stephens Island
Hi Gareth,

Cheers - much appreciated!

Thank you for the additional information and image (nice shot btw!) - very interesting. The first time we saw them (which resulted in these images) they were fairly plentiful - 5 or 6 in their new indoor and glass walled enclosure - but on our most recent, it was clear they're learning and several of them have already been on the 'how to avoid getting photographed' course. (We still managed to get some shots though... :) ).

P&K

Much ado about Nothing?
I suspect that they wouldn't view their encounter that way!​

Kookaburra and Magpie
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 254.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 20000

Laughing Kookaburra : Dacelo novaeguineae
Australian Magpie : Gymnorhina tibicen
Queensland, Australia

The squabble, as I recall it: the magpie was drinking from a tiny puddle (note water displaced from its beak) and the kookaburra barged in to grab a morsel to eat, 'knocking' the maggie backwards out of its way. The ornithologists amongst us might be able to provide a forensic interpretation based on wing and claw positions.

It was late in the day, and these two had been squabbling incessantly, so I chose a small aperture in an attempt to get both in focus; and that necessitated a longer exposure time (deliberate) and far too high ISO (auto, so I dared not look).

I'll restrain myself, and not upload the embarrassingly huge number of duds!

… David

A few more

_M3A6956-Enhanced-NR.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/6400 sec
  • ISO 4000
_M3A6982-Enhanced-NR.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/6400 sec
  • ISO 2500

_M3A7946-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 125

_M3A8010-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

_M3A8076-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 125

_M3A6860-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 200

Phil and Karen

View attachment 30408

View attachment 30409

View attachment 30410

View attachment 30411

View attachment 30412

View attachment 30413
These are super! It's a great reminder that Zoo's are wonderful places to photograph. I loved those giant otters and the giraffes are always a favorite of mine!

Much ado about Nothing?

View attachment 30443

Queensland, Australia

The squabble, as I recall it: the magpie was drinking from a tiny puddle (note water displaced from its beak) and the kookaburra barged in to grab a morsel to eat, 'knocking' the maggie backwards out of its way. The ornithologists amongst us might be able to provide a forensic interpretation based on wing and claw positions.

It was late in the day, and these two had been squabbling incessantly, so I chose a small aperture in an attempt to get both in focus; and that necessitated a longer exposure time (deliberate) and far too high ISO (auto, so I dared not look).

… David
What a great action image! It doesn't matter how many duds you get, as long as you get some (or even one) that you like! I think you chose your settings well here, and even with silly high ISO I find that DXO PureRaw does an excellent job of getting rid of the noise.

One of the things I really wanted to do in Yellowstone was spend time at the hot springs and geysers. What I didn't factor into that equation was that it was going to be cold. And hot springs are... well hot. Really hot. Which means instead of (for the most part) getting shots of gorgeous yellow and blue chromobacteria filled waters I was treated to lots of ... fog. But being the inveterate snapper I am I couldn't let the opportunity of having a camera in my hand be spoiled by not being able to see anything. So I did something I never do. I took pictures of people. Well... of people other than my husband (seen in the second image) The first and third image were at Grand Prismatic spring which is normally stunning. The 4th was at the lower geyser basin and is of people watching Grotto Geyser spout up. The geysers weren't as foggy as the hot springs but there was a lot more steam than I had seen in autumn trips.
2024_05_02_Yellowstone-10707-CR3-Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
  • 65.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 250
2024_05_02_Yellowstone-10714-Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 109.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 200
2024_05_02_Yellowstone-10749-Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 27.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 400
2024_05_02_Yellowstone-11136-Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 38.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 320

Just wow! These are great images. I love the speed you caught in the first one and the smoke coming out of the second is just awesome and well rendered in Mono.
Thanks. They said the blue car was going 150 mph. There was a jet engine that car with the smokey shot.

One of the things I really wanted to do in Yellowstone was spend time at the hot springs and geysers. What I didn't factor into that equation was that it was going to be cold. And hot springs are... well hot. Really hot. Which means instead of (for the most part) getting shots of gorgeous yellow and blue chromobacteria filled waters I was treated to lots of ... fog. But being the inveterate snapper I am I couldn't let the opportunity of having a camera in my hand be spoiled by not being able to see anything. So I did something I never do. I took pictures of people. Well... of people other than my husband (seen in the second image) The first and third image were at Grand Prismatic spring which is normally stunning. The 4th was at the lower geyser basin and is of people watching Grotto Geyser spout up. The geysers weren't as foggy as the hot springs but there was a lot more steam than I had seen in autumn trips.View attachment 30470View attachment 30471View attachment 30472View attachment 30473
Great shots and thanks for memories. We were there about 35 years ago.

Much ado about Nothing?

View attachment 30443

Queensland, Australia

… David
Hi David,

The combination of the smug look on the newly installed occupant and the 'grace under pressure' of the freshly ejected former occupant is quite a scene.

You certainly nailed the timing (and as for any duds - you only need 1 winner!).

Well done and thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Hi Only RF,

By coincidence we went out to buy some salad at the weekend and ordered a new car (we're prone to reckless spontaneity).

These shots have done nothing to quell the excitement (though our new wheels will be somewhat more pedestrian than this).

Beautifully captured and presented - image #2 is visually devastating (like the B&W).

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back