Your R System Images - August 2024

"This is our territory!"View attachment 30724
Hi David,

A moment of tension perfectly captured - pin sharp eye-detail and beautifully controlled exposure given the competing demands of the players/ scene.

Well done - and thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Hi Marc,

Three very striking images, each one having pleasing subject isolation with lush colours and fine detail in abundance - image #2 is (just) our favourite.

Well done - and thank you for sharing... :)

P&K
Thank you.

Nothing new to see here!

It was full moon early yesterday. This is my attempt at shooting the moon a few days before that when it was less than ‘full’: the moon was rising above our trees, so I could not resist the temptation to snap it!

Moon : not yet full
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF2x
  • 1,000.0 mm
  • ƒ/20
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 2500

Nothing new to see here!

It was full moon early yesterday. This is my attempt at shooting the moon a few days before that when it was less than ‘full’: the moon was rising above our trees, so I could not resist the temptation to snap it!

View attachment 30845
Hi David,

A subject which has definitely aged well - beautifully captured and presented.

A very fine way for us to start the day - thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Kookaburra takes flight …

View attachment 30847

Laughing Kookaburra : Dacelo novaeguineae
Ipswich, Queensland

Hi David,

A wonderful capture - the subject is perfectly posed (and isolated), with the rocks and spray providing the final touches to the composition.

A beautifully controlled shot in all respects - well done indeed... :)

P&K

‘Out of Office’ - Hello, we’re now away until near the end of the month (another mini Frank-Fest - rain and gales are forecast, but fun is guaranteed!) so we will be unable to provide any feedback until after we return. Please carry on having lots of fun in our absence - and stay safe… Phil and Karen 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

----

In the meantime, a few images from recent early morning walks around Hartshill Country Park, Warwickshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite and Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels).

Phil and Karen

It's the sun!

RF-S-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 125

Dawn and a rainbow (a drainbow?) - which became a full double! And then it rained... :rolleyes:

RF-S-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 640

Misty morning...

RF-S-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100

It's gonna be...

RF-S-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 124.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:
‘Out of Office’ - Hello, we’re now away until near the end of the month (another mini Frank-Fest - rain and gales are forecast, but fun is guaranteed!) so we will be unable to provide any feedback until after we return. Please carry on having lots of fun in our absence - and stay safe… Phil and Karen 🏴
Hey Phil, as usual great photos and I'm looking forward to the next batch! Have a great holiday.

Got my R5mk2 yesterday and while I am not a bird photographer, I thought it would be a good test of the new camera. Images shot on an R5mk2, RF100-300mm f2.8 and the RF1.4x teleconverter (140-420mm f4 equivalent.) The autofocus is STICKY and really nice to use. I don't even have it completely dialed in and it was amazing. I would say that it seems as good or better than my R3's. These jpeg images were only cropped, no post processing, no sharpening. The big test comes on Saturday when I am shooting Major League Soccer for a visiting team. Stay tuned for images and impressions from that assignment.
AB3_1940.jpg
AB3_1924.jpg
AB3_1938.jpg
AB3_1940.jpg
AB3_1955.jpg
AB3_1960.jpg
AB3_2955.jpg
©2024 Adam Bettcher www.bettcherphoto.com

We went for bit of a road trip to the west of Canada. I don't get out to very many country fairs but this one was fun. Antique cars, tractor pulls and horse jumping. All types of local products. There was a significantly sized photo contest. Also contests for about anything out there. The most crooked 3 carrots. The 3 most evenly sized/shaped potatoes and it went on.

Millarville, Alberta

Great to see youngsters doing this.

_M3A8227-Enhanced-NR.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 72.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/5000 sec
  • ISO 1250

My first tractor pull. Tires dug in and the red flag came up.

_M3A8482.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 200

Got a wee bit of motion blur in the rear tire :) Actually that was a bit of a challenge. They don't go very fast.

_M3A8526.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 61.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 125

My wife and I decided to mark one of her items off of her "bucket list". This was something she had wanted to do since she was a little girl, take a flight on a Zeppelin. Zeppelins are built about 20 minutes from our house, in Friedrichshafen, and during the summer, if the weather permits, you will see these magnificent airships flying around.

We booked a 45 minute flight for the next morning and hoped that the weather would permit. It did....sort of. We wanted to take a flight in the direction of Lindau as Lindau has an iconic harbor that I wanted to photograph from above. But there was a storm in that area of the lake so it was either go in the other direction, towards Meersburg, or get a refund and rebook another day and hope the weather permitted. Everyone on that flight chose Meersburg, I guess when you have your dream in front of you waiting, why would you not take it. Who cares where you are flying....haha...it is on a Zeppelin.

I was happy to read that they do not use hydrogen any longer and only use helium. (one a side note: Zeppelin has a museum in Friedrichshafen with a lot of items from the most famous Zeppelin of them all...The Hindenburg)

This is our Zeppelin as it landed at the end of the previous flight. If I remember correctly, there are only 14 seats in the cabin. That is why the cost for a 45 minute flight was 470€ per person.
Goodyear Zeppelin.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • TAMRON SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 A032
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

Some important information to know during the flight:

Important Information.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 160

Friedrichshafen has 2 Zeppelins that are used for flights like ours, the second ship is the Goodyear ship seen here flying over Lake Constance. If the weather were nice, we would have had a wonderful view of the Swiss Alps, but I have clouds in the background of my shot. This was shot through a small open window at the back of the Zeppelin. We were told to make sure we held on to our camera/phone because if we dropped it it would be difficult to find. I was thankful for my Peak Design Cuff wrist strap.

Zeppelin over Lake Constance.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • 51.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

Coming in for a landing. The passengers on the next flight have to stay directly in front of the airship as the pilot is landing. This is so he, or she, can always make sure the passengers on the ground are safe. The wind can blow the Zeppelin a bit, so one of the flight attendants is there to direct the passengers on the ground to run like chickens to the left or to the right. I wasn't sure if it really is necessary or was simply for the amusement of the pilots. I didn't take any photos when I was waiting because we were very clearly instructed not to so we wouldn't be distracted when our flock of fellow chickens needed to run. But, as you can see, not all chickens follow the rules.

Ready for landing.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:
That sounds like an amazing experience, and wonder if there are similar opportunities somewhere in the States.

That sounds like an amazing experience, and wonder if there are similar opportunities somewhere in the States.
The Zeppelin webpage states that there are five flying Zeppelins in the world. Two in Germany, the ones I photographed, and three in the U.S.A.. Those three are Goodyear "Blimps". So, unless Goodyear offers flights, you probably have to make a trip to Germany.

Zeppelin currently has a sixth ship in the hangar under construction, but they haven't said where it is destined for. Normally tours of the hangar are offered, but the hangar is closed because of that sixth ship. They are very secretive and protective of it.

The early bird catches the worm?

Kookaburra and Magpie
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 25600

Laughing Kookaburra : Dacelo novaeguineae
Australian Magpie : Gymnorhina tibicen
Queensland, Australia

Our avian squabblers were at it again. Might is right… my beak's bigger than yours!

I'm not sure who was first to swoop down, but it was the kookaburra who flew off with the worm.

Last edited:
Been out playing with my new toy, trying out some of its tricks...

Unfortunately, Saturday afternoon at the river mouth is noisy vehicle play time, so there weren't many birds around. Just one tern (for the worse), but I do love the shapes their wings make. As spring gets moving their numbers will increase.

Caspian tern, Taranui -  Hydroprogne caspia
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 800

0K3A0237.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 800

Caspian tern, Taranui - Hydroprogne caspia
Loved the way the camera locked on to the subject and held on to it - and also took the exposure from the tracked subject. I did have pre-shoot on, but wasn't very systematic in trying to see what it would do.

0K3A0337.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 3200

0K3A0339.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 3200

Chaffinch (adult female), Pahirini - Fringilla coelebs

Compared with my old R6, the extra megapickles make small bird photography a lot easier. I'm one of those snappers who likes to pretend to frame shots in camera, and looks down on cropping, but with little birds the ability to crop saves a lot of money on expensive glass. That said, I do have an idea that my next purchase might be a 1.4x teleconverter. Don't tell SWMBO...

Subject tracking wasn't a problem for the last two:

0K3A0025.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 640

0K3A0029.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 320

I did try the eye tracking, but my first attempt at calibration resulted in an annoying offset. I'll have another go soon, because the little experience I had suggested that if I can get it going it will be wonderful.

I'm looking forward to trying the facial recognition thingy on a very extended family holiday in warmer climes next week, but that will be for the September thread. Will do my best to avoid getting sand in the gears...

The camera locked onto the subject… and also took the exposure from the tracked subject.
Henry …

Having the R5ii calculate exposure from a tracked subject would be a breakthrough development. For example, when I shoot in 'manual with auto ISO', will the ISO change between shots (if needed) while Av and Tv remain constant?

I know that quite a few photographers — self included, of course — would like to try such an option, but I haven't seen it mentioned by Canon.

… David

More 'tern for the worse' photos, please!

Last edited:
Hi David,

(It's Gareth - Sir Henry is just a screen name... :))

Second tab of the "camera" section (at left), bottom of the menu:

AE for Priority Subjects During AF - Performs metering for subjects detected based on the [Autofocus: Subject to detect] setting.

... Metering is based on the AF point or AF area where the subject was detected.

P332 of the Advanced User Guide pdf, or html version on web here.

In my limited experiments today, a couple of shots showed it in action. This one, of a couple of cormorants fishing off the river mouth, was (before tweakage) showing a well-exposed predominantly black bird against a significantly over-exposed sea surface. LRC's "auto" has brought the sea back a lot...

0K3A0079.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 2000

Edited to add an untweaked image from the same sequence:
0K3A0077.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5m2
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 2000

Last edited:
Second tab of the "camera" section (at left), bottom of the menu: P332 of the Advanced User Guide.
Thanks, Gareth. That’s exactly the sort of help that is appreciated.

I have the Advanced User Guide printed out, so I’ll spend a while reading the relevant section.

… David

How do I set auto exposure for the priority subject when I'm shooting in pre-continuous, eye-detect, 30 frames per second, muted-but-not-silent electronic shutter, blah, blah, blah…?

Read the manual, bird brain!

Canon R5ii Advanced User Guide
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF50mm F1.8 STM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 12800

Grey Butcherbird : Cracticus torquatus
Butch finds the answer on page 332 (of 1225 pages).

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back