Choice of Editing Software ?

As most say,I like Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop was my go-to for experimenting with light painting and I have stayed with it. I also have begun tethered shooting so I can assess the shots on the much larger screen of my laptop. I'm experimenting with both Cable tethering and Wireless tethering using the Tether Tools products. I use Capture One for this process and it is quite a robust editing tool itself.

I do occasionally use it, mostly for focus stacking. Since it isn't a wonderful interface, I prefer doing most of my routine post-processing in other tools.
I have used the Canon software and find it actually quite good if batch processing is not needed, and the price is right. It also seems to be the first software available that works with each of Canon's new format releases (seeing that Canon makes it). If you have not yet purchased software give the Canon app a try.

I have used the Canon software and find it actually quite good if batch processing is not needed, and the price is right. It also seems to be the first software available that works with each of Canon's new format releases (seeing that Canon makes it). If you have not yet purchased software give the Canon app a try.
I actually use Canon DPP for batch processing as it's dead easy and I've never figured out how to do it with Abobe. Also Canon DPP is absolutely free. If only it had a catalogue I would dump Lightroom and use it instead.

Like many here, I subscribe to Adobe LR and PS, plus I use Topaz plugins. I have been reading a few reports about the colour rendering in PS and LR not being really suitable for CR3, its suggested that Canons DPP is the best RAW conversion software to gain the best colour images from CR3. Has anyone else come across this? I'm not sure exactly how you would go about this other than load all the images into DPP then batch convert the files into DNG or JPEG or similar, perhaps TIFF. JPEG isn't sensible in my mind as you lose the ability to have complete control over your editing. Any thoughts?

Like many here, I subscribe to Adobe LR and PS, plus I use Topaz plugins. I have been reading a few reports about the colour rendering in PS and LR not being really suitable for CR3, its suggested that Canons DPP is the best RAW conversion software to gain the best colour images from CR3. Has anyone else come across this? I'm not sure exactly how you would go about this other than load all the images into DPP then batch convert the files into DNG or JPEG or similar, perhaps TIFF. JPEG isn't sensible in my mind as you lose the ability to have complete control over your editing. Any thoughts?
I have viewed several online seminars where the presenters indicated that the Canon DPP was more accurate in processing the color. That being said, When I process in Adobe LR or PS, I'm changing the color a bit anyway so I'm not sure this matters much. For me, the color is what I decide. Color is such a subjective attribute anyways it is commonly affected by your monitor or printer calibration so If you are not using monitor or printer calibration (might be required for commercial shoots) although any of the photos I've had published took my representation without issue. There are some qualities that are determined by the manufacturer of the camera (canon is Warm and Sony is cool) but since I primarily shoot raw, the issue is not significant for me. When post-processing though, using the Adobe color space setting in LR or PS gives you a slightly expanded color space, or so I've been told.

Many people purchase LUTs (or looks) to apply across a set of images to get the color grade they desire so this again is changing the base colors. These can be created in LR by you and then used as a standard recipe for your color grading. For the most part, I find it a nonissue. But hey, that's me. :cool:

Like so many of you I use the Adobe photography plan. I do my basic edits (straightening, white and black points, temperature) in Lightroom then pop over to PS for most of my work. I use the Nik plugins as well as Topaz and lately have started using DxO Pure Raw (when I can get it to work right) for my high ISO images, it works magic. I own luminar 4 and AI but never use them.

I have adobe photography package but also had Capture 21 in my Sony days and to be honest I preferred Capture as it loaded pictures quicker and editing was faster and more responsive that Lightroom. Lightroom could take almost 10 times to import before you could edit without any lag. However since moving to Canon I have ditched Capture 21 as the subscription is almost an extra £10 for Canon platform although not sure why. Anyway would be good to know if others use capture 21 with their Canons

I have adobe photography package but also had Capture 21 in my Sony days and to be honest I preferred Capture as it loaded pictures quicker and editing was faster and more responsive that Lightroom. Lightroom could take almost 10 times to import before you could edit without any lag. However since moving to Canon I have ditched Capture 21 as the subscription is almost an extra £10 for Canon platform although not sure why. Anyway would be good to know if others use capture 21 with their Canons
Can't really say I've noticed any lag with LR. Imported about 600 RAWs last week on my 2019 iMac running Catalina and never really gave it a thought. Grudged the monthly cost at the beginning as I always preferred to 'own' the software but I've got over that.

The big thing that prevents me using Canon DPP is that it has no catalogue. That's one area where Adobe has got you tied in. So I can revisit the history of the file even years later. It lets me see how my processing skills have moved on.
Did Capture have a catalogue? Also recently bought Affinity but can't really see me using it atm for the same reason.

Can't really say I've noticed any lag with LR. Imported about 600 RAWs last week on my 2019 iMac running Catalina and never really gave it a thought. Grudged the monthly cost at the beginning as I always preferred to 'own' the software but I've got over that.

The big thing that prevents me using Canon DPP is that it has no catalogue. That's one area where Adobe has got you tied in. So I can revisit the history of the file even years later. It lets me see how my processing skills have moved on.
Did Capture have a catalogue? Also recently bought Affinity but can't really see me using it atm for the same reason.
I have a MacBook Pro 2019 model and it can take about 15mins to load images( around 100 images) I’m going to try and lget and solid state drive see if that improves things. Yes capture has catalogues u should have a look and try free ... only downside if you want to tweak you will still need photoshop

I have a MacBook Pro 2019 model and it can take about 15mins to load images( around 100 images) I’m going to try and lget and solid state drive see if that improves things. Yes capture has catalogues u should have a look and try free ... only downside if you want to tweak you will still need photoshop
An SSD will make a significant difference. It's also worth checking your cache sizes in LR as this can have an impact on performance too.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back