Your R System Images - April 2024

A brown-cheeked rail (クイナ kuina) in the mud at low tide...a first for me.
wr1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 5000
wr2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 5000
wr3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 2500

Images from a recent visit to Baddesley Clinton, Warwickshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint, Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper TK-9 Panels and Topaz Labs Photo AI).

You can find out more about Baddesley Clinton by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Baddesley has Saxon origins. A man called Baeddi, Badde or Bade drove his cattle up to the Forest of Arden and made a clearing in the woods for extra grazing. It would have been protected from predators with a ditch and wooden palisade. Such a clearing was known as a ‘leah’ or ‘ley’ – hence 'Badde’s Ley'.

View attachment 26975

2. In about 1100 the estate was given to Walter de Bisege. Baddesley remained in the Bisege family for four generations until Walter’s great-granddaughter, Mazera, who was heir to the property, married Sir Thomas de Clinton in about 1290, and the name of the estate became Baddesley Clinton.

View attachment 26976

3. Two generations of Ferrers (Edward and his son Henry) held Baddesley during the English Civil War and its aftermath. During the civil war most Catholics supported the King, but Edward Ferrers managed to appear neutral, by allying with his wife’s Protestant family and his building work at Baddesley church.

View attachment 26977

4. It was the practice by both sides during the war, the Royalists and the Parliamentarians, to raise funds by levying taxes and raiding large houses and estates. Baddesley was raided twice in 1643 by the Parliamentary forces. (Inset are items they left here).

View attachment 26978

5. In 1590, a period when anti-Catholic views ran high, Baddesley was rented to ardent Catholics Anne and Eleanor Vaux. Anne had a builder to create hiding places for up to 12 priests. In 1591 Baddesley was surrounded by priest-hunters - looking for five priests who were in hiding here at the time. Despite several searches they were not discovered - Anne had saved the lives of the priests at no small risk to her safety. (Right - the concealed priest hole trap door access).

View attachment 26979

6. It is rumoured this bed is made from wood taken from a Spanish galleon, part of the Spanish Armada, which sank off the Kent Coast in 1588. (Whilst this is unproven, tests have shown salts in the wood are consistent with having come from the North Sea, which borders the Kent coast to the north).

View attachment 26980

(Source: National Trust).
Fabulous Images, Phil and Karen! And, as always, I love your narratives that give me a glimpse into the history of the places you visit. My list of places to see grows and grows every month. Now to make it over there!

Trying something a little different (so what else is new?) doing some in-camera multiple exposures to create a soft, dreamy effect. Not quite sure I got what I was looking for since I didn't trim out the leaf in front of the flower (it was in someone's yard and I didn't want to be rude), but I do like the effect and will keep trying, if it ever stops raining long enough.
2024_03_27_ME_Daffodils-10042-Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 100
2024_03_27_ME_Daffodils-10098-Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

Ok, today was the craziest day . While walking in fileds with camera i noticed something white in distance, at fitrst i think that maybe a goat or a sheep runned from someone's farm . But when i jumped in bushes to hide and wait to get it closer to me , what a surpise i got. It was an albino deer. :)

3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R8
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 800

2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R8
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 1600

My bday happens on Eclipse day this year. My husband asked what I wanted, he thought I would want a filter to photograph the eclipse, but no. I asked for the R35mm lens. Today he surprised me with it. Early birthday gift, since I have a couple of photoshoots where I could use it in the next couple of days.

Had to go test it out in my unkept garden. It's also a little windy today, so I might have a little blur, but still I love it!

View attachment 27020

View attachment 27021

View attachment 27022
Hi Mimi,

Well firstly - Happy Birthday! (for the 8th?).

And what a superb pressie to receive - we love the RF 35mm (and really should use it far more) - and it looks like you're off to a flying start with it.

Beautiful shots - thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Got lucky yesterday with this bird, a Eurasian hoopoe (ヤツガシラ yatsugashira). A bit of a rarity in our parts.View attachment 27077
Hi David,

Well done on capturing this fascinating, remarkable and exotic (for us!) creature. That's quite a sight.

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Today was my lucky day, short walk in forest and in distance i can hear crane callings. So i walk slowly to spot where i think they gonna be and yessss i got my best shots so far .

View attachment 27130

View attachment 27131

View attachment 27135

View attachment 27129
Hi Bartosz,

Extraordinary captures of beautiful creatures - you really nailed these, with excellent poses and detail in their natural setting. (#1 is - just - our favourite!).

Well done - and thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back