Your R System Images - June 2024

One for Father's Day. Here's a picture of my dad in about 1945 in China where he was serving with British military intelligence. I used my Canon R and RF 50mm f/1.8 lens to copy the small post card size shot. My dad had made a scrap book with plastic page covers and I had to cut that away to get rid of the reflections. Sadly, he glued the picture to the card stock, not sure how I will eventually remove it.

My dad ended up as a major, he said he mostly got promoted to move up to a different position. He said he never shot a gun other than at basic training. He spoke fluent Chinese so often was dealing with visiting Chinese military and sometimes interrogating Japanese prisoners. He met my mother while in Chunking, she was with the OSS which eventually became the CIA.

I used Lightroom, Photoshop and Topaz Photo Ai to clean up and colorize the image. Here is my original copy and the finished image

EOSR0488.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • RF50mm F1.8 STM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 1600

EOSR0489-2-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • RF50mm F1.8 STM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 1250

I've been working on a project inspired by Angi Wallaces' submerged flowers. Here are a few of the ones I've created so far.

View attachment 28961

View attachment 28962

View attachment 28963
Hi Hali,

These images are absolutely sublime - it's impossible for us to single out a favourite as each one is utterly spellbinding.

Whatever it is you're doing, it's top drawer creativity - and quite simply wonderful, keep it up!

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

One for Father's Day. Here's a picture of my dad in about 1945 in China where he was serving with British military intelligence. I used my Canon R and RF 50mm f/1.8 lens to copy the small post card size shot. My dad had made a scrap book with plastic page covers and I had to cut that away to get rid of the reflections. Sadly, he glued the picture to the card stock, not sure how I will eventually remove it.

My dad ended up as a major, he said he mostly got promoted to move up to a different position. He said he never shot a gun other than at basic training. He spoke fluent Chinese so often was dealing with visiting Chinese military and sometimes interrogating Japanese prisoners. He met my mother while in Chunking, she was with the OSS which eventually became the CIA.

I used Lightroom, Photoshop and Topaz Photo Ai to clean up and colorize the image. Here is my original copy and the finished image

View attachment 28968

View attachment 28969
Hi Chris,

A fantastic re-editing job with an absolutely fascinating, astonishing and moving tale.

Respect all-round.

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Chris,
wonderful story and an amazing job with the colorized version of the original. Well done!

Mike

The beer tram is back in action this summer. All-you-can-drink Kirin beer for the 1.5 hr round trip to the end of the line and back
beertram.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 80.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 500
. A few snacks thrown in all for the price of 4,800 yen (30.42 USD at the current exchange rate).

Messing about with my RF 100mm F2.8L Macro. Wasn't thrilled with the main pic but I really loved the crops where the focus point fell. Need more practice with the DoF, get a tripod involved and use manual focus.

_G8A2417_DxO.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 250

_G8A2417_DxO-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 250

_G8A2417_DxO-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 250

The beer tram is back in action this summer. All-you-can-drink Kirin beer for the 1.5 hr round trip to the end of the line and backView attachment 28978. A few snacks thrown in all for the price of 4,800 yen (30.42 USD at the current exchange rate).
Hi David,

Sounds like a memorable ride (for those who take the trip - and can remember it afterwards! :cool:).

Well seen and caught - and thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Messing about with my RF 100mm F2.8L Macro. Wasn't thrilled with the main pic but I really loved the crops where the focus point fell. Need more practice with the DoF, get a tripod involved and use manual focus.

View attachment 28980

View attachment 28981

View attachment 28982
Hi RW,

There's an art to photographing flowers (which does't lend itself to our random camera settings approach to these subjects :rolleyes:) which becomes more intense with macros. You're off to a solid start here, with some fine details evident against pleasing backgrounds - and with scintillating colours aplenty.

Keep up the good work - and thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

We've continued to keep a look out for young tawny owls during our early morning strolls (in Hartshill Country Park, Warwickshire, England), but all was quiet yesterday and we thought we were out of luck - that is until Karen spotted one of the parents in the gloom keeping a close eye on us and and I got this shot.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite, Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper TK-9 Panels and Topaz Labs Photo AI).

Please note we're off on a short Frank-Fest after today, so will be unable to provide any feedback until we return... :cool:

Phil

Meet the Parent...

RF-S-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 6400

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back