Your R System Images - October 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately it seems that fall colors are not what I remember - more brown than anything else, and not enough red. Perhaps we're losing our maple trees. Anyway, I shot this yesterday as the temps were non-characteristic warm for late October in southern New York State. I like the reflection, but I'm not sure if there is anything else of interest. I'm open to your input and criticism, just be kind! Thanks.

View attachment 21296
Very nice reflection photo, great detail. This year in the Northeast was one of the most difficult for fall foliage in recent memory. This was very much the scene in much of Vermont this year. The heavy rainfall and warm temperatures really wreaked havoc. We did manage to find some reasonable color but it was very localized. Many of our usual spots in Vermont were green/brown, and we had to go north and east towards northern New Hampshire to get a little better color. But this year was definitely not a "color explosion with every turn of the road" year.

Our final images for this month, captured during a recent visit to Chester Zoo, Chester, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

Phil and Karen

Note - due to the use of multi-shot compilations, the exif info shown may be misleading - these are a mix of R5 (Phil) and R7 (Karen).

Tiger Club…

View attachment 21277

Family time…

View attachment 21278

Hello bright eyes…

View attachment 21279

What a bunch of little cuties…

View attachment 21280

Butterfly House - aka lens steaming-up mayhem - also featuring some very small, but very noisy, frogs…

View attachment 21281

Inka, a rare black Jaguar, arrived in August this year, having moved from The Big Cat Sanctuary in Kent. (Unfortunately, it appears she doesn’t get on terribly well with Napo, the existing resident male Jaguar).

View attachment 21282
Lovely photos Phil and Karen. I especially like the bird portraits and the captivating eyes of the rust and black-colored mammal

Lovely photos Phil and Karen. I especially like the bird portraits and the captivating eyes of the rust and black-colored mammal
Hi Don,

Cheers - much appreciated!

P&K

Still waiting for spring rains…

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail : Fairney View, Queensland
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 250

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Fairney View, Queensland
Location on Map (zoom as necessary)
Looking NE.

This is what our part of the world looks like.

This morning I rode by ebike up the rail trail which runs north from Ipswich, passing close to our house on its way to tiny rural communities.

We're having a spring without rain — okay, a few drops now and then, but essentially nothing. Dry grass, half-empty dams and defiantly green eucalypts were the order of the day.

The lens used was the handy RF 14–35 f./4 L (blame Luminar Neo for stripping that info from the metadata; LrC swears it didn't do it!).

… David

Still waiting for spring rains…

View attachment 21322

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Fairney View, Queensland
Location on Map (zoom as necessary)
Looking NE.

This is what our part of the world looks like.

This morning I rode by ebike up the rail trail which runs north from Ipswich, passing close to our house on its way to tiny rural communities.

We're having a spring without rain — okay, a few drops now and then, but essentially nothing. Dry grass, half-empty dams and defiantly green eucalypts were the order of the day.

The lens used was the handy RF 14–35 f./4 L (blame Luminar Neo for stripping that info from the metadata; LrC swears it didn't do it!).

… David
Hi David,

A splendid image - pastel shades and a fascinating landscape that looks like it would be both fun and relaxing to explore on two-wheels (a rather fine way to spend any morning!).

We have plenty of spare rain (in fact a fresh batch is due to arrive any minute now), but we suspect the postage would make it uneconomical... :)

P&K

Hi Phil and Don,
Taking Phil's advice, I added a little "something" to the colors, dodged the right side of the image and cropped to 16:9. I think that it looks better, though still far from a wall hanger. Like Don said, it's been a bad year for fall foliage - too much rain, too warm or too cold, too something. Anyway, your comments welcomed on the edit.
Thanks, Mike

Autumn reflection II.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 45.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 200

Some additional fall color photos from this month.
This first two photos are from Kettle Pond in the Groton State Forest in Vermont. The warm temperatures kept the red leaaves around longer than normal and they make the photos: the oranges and yellows were much less intense than they usually are because of the rain conditions during summer.
20231003_1785.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • 45.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 400

20231003_1839.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • 67.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 400

The next two photos were taken on the trail that goes to Kettle Pond. The trail itself had mostly green foliage and you have to remember to look up...
20231003_1882.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/13 sec
  • ISO 400

20231003_1908.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 500

Ricker Pond is also in Groton State Forest
20231003_1920.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • 47.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 500

We had a nice sunset over the Moore Reservoir in New Hampshire.
20231003_2099.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 200

Finally, couple of eastern bluebirds in our backyard. The female bluebird has captured a caterpillar and is having a quick snack and the male bluebird posed nicely for me in front of some nice fall color.

20231008_4039.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 1000

20231011R7_9637.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 1600

A late season dahlia from a pot of orphaned dahlias that a friend gave me. I took it into photoshop and did some painting with the mixer brush.
2023_10_27_Dahlias-10034-Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 500

Some additional fall color photos from this month.
This first two photos are from Kettle Pond in the Groton State Forest in Vermont. The warm temperatures kept the red leaaves around longer than normal and they make the photos: the oranges and yellows were much less intense than they usually are because of the rain conditions during summer.
View attachment 21338

The next two photos were taken on the trail that goes to Kettle Pond. The trail itself had mostly green foliage and you have to remember to look up...

Ricker Pond is also in Groton State Forest

We had a nice sunset over the Moore Reservoir in New Hampshire.

Finally, couple of eastern bluebirds in our backyard. The female bluebird has captured a caterpillar and is having a quick snack and the male bluebird posed nicely for me in front of some nice fall color.
Stunning images / colours - the first one for me is the print / hanger for sure - refection is perfection (I'm a poet and didn't know it lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back