PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
We hope you have fun making wonderful images this month!

Stay safe and well…

Phil and Karen 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

——

Any R System images can be posted. If you would like to say something about your images in terms of the subject, settings, or any post-processing, that will be very welcome.

Remember, you don't have to only post things you took this month - sometimes people don't get around to processing/ editing images straight after shooting them. (Think of it more as an ‘images I’d like to post here this month’ thing).

Images posted here will also be available to view in a dedicated Monthly R System Images Galley, which can be found Here.

Commenting on posts is encouraged, as it keeps everyone interested. (Please be considerate, thoughtful and constructive).

We’ll aim to provide some feedback too - but please note we are away for part of each month and busy with ‘life stuff’. The lack of a comment from us is not a sign of disfavour!

Finally, please post in accordance with the RF Shooters Community Guidelines.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Images from our recent visit to the Elan Valley in the Cambrian Mountains of mid-Wales, where we visited the system of dams and reservoirs built there to provide a clean water supply for Birmingham (England!).

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

You can read more about the Elan Valley and its dams and reservoirs by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Caban Coch Dam, Elan Valley. Height: 111 feet, Length: 558 feet, Reservoir Area: 220 Hectares.

E-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 400

2. Garreg Ddu Dam, Elan Valley. (Used to regulate supply, most of the dam is submerged).

E-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 1000

3. Pen y Garreg, Elan Valley. Height: 111 feet, Length: 483 feet, Reservoir Area: 50 Hectares.

Elan-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 500

4. Craig Goch, Elan Valley. Height: 108 feet, Length: 468 feet, Reservoir Area: 88 Hectares.

Elan-6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

5. Claerwen Dam, Claerwen Valley. Height: 168 feet, Length: 1,005 feet, Reservoir Area: 369 Hectares.

Elan-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200

6. Dol y Mynach Dam, Claerwen Valley. (The ‘unfinished dam’. Base built but never needed).

Elan-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 400

7. Nant-y-Gro Dam, Elan Valley. Height: 35 feet, Length: 180 feet. (The ‘Dambusters dam’. Originally built to provide a water supply for the construction workforce, it was blown up in 1942 during demolition tests to develop the bouncing bomb, later used in the Dambuster’s Raid of 1943).

Elan-7.jpg

Last edited:
Work has unfortunately meant I haven't had the chance to get out in the last month or 2 so no new pictures, however on the theme of dams, here's one stitched together from a few photos of Benmore Dam taken when I was working down there in 1990 on the DC-1 project. Benmore is the largest earth dam in the Southern Hemisphere & is located just outside Otematata, North Otago, New Zealand. Most of the power is transferred to the North Island after being converted from 300kv AC to 300kv DC via the Cook Strait cable and converted back to AC at Haywards, just outside Wellington. Not technically an R system photo but the originals were taken with a Canon T50 & I took photos of them with my RP & stitched them together in Photoshop.
Benmore Dam - New Zealand - 1990.jpg

Work has unfortunately meant I haven't had the chance to get out in the last month or 2 so no new pictures, however on the theme of dams, here's one stitched together from a few photos of Benmore Dam taken when I was working down there in 1990 on the DC-1 project. Benmore is the largest earth dam in the Southern Hemisphere & is located just outside Otematata, North Otago, New Zealand. Most of the power is transferred to the North Island after being converted from 300kv AC to 300kv DC via the Cook Strait cable and converted back to AC at Haywards, just outside Wellington. Not technically an R system photo but the originals were taken with a Canon T50 & I took photos of them with my RP & stitched them together in Photoshop.View attachment 16722
Hi Myles,

A terrific image of a hugely impressive piece of engineering. (A pretty impressive piece post-processing too!). Truly inspirational all-round. Thank you for sharing... :)

(Our campsite in the Elan Valley sat just below the Caban Coch Dam - the first image in our set - and it was somewhat mind-blowing to think what it was holding back).

P&K

Hi Myles,

A terrific image of a hugely impressive piece of engineering. (A pretty impressive piece post-processing too!). Truly inspirational all-round. Thank you for sharing... :)

(Our campsite in the Elan Valley sat just below the Caban Coch Dam - the first image in our set - and it was somewhat mind-blowing to think what it was holding back).

P&K
Cheers Phil,
Dams fascinate me. I was fortunate to work on all 3 of the dams on the Waitaki valley at one time or another, Benmore, Aviemore, & Waitaki. Benmore is an impressive sight, especially with the sluice gates open & in full flow. Waitaki, which is the oldest dam on the river, doesn't have sluice gates, it is designed so that the water flows over it when the river is in flood, that's a cool sight, unfortunately I don't have a photo of it in that state.

African fauna in English flora. Yeah, I know it's not the same as going on safari and capturing animals in the wild but I like the image anyway. An Eastern or mountain bongo (Tragelaphus eurycerus), the third largest antelope in the world, originating from Kenya.
Bongo-4998.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
  • 150.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 250

African fauna in English flora. Yeah, I know it's not the same as going on safari and capturing animals in the wild but I like the image anyway. An Eastern or mountain bongo (Tragelaphus eurycerus), the third largest antelope in the world, originating from Kenya.View attachment 16749
Hi Yang,

A terrific image of a beautiful creature (and a wonderful country! :D ). A fine pose - and a touch a catch-light in the eye too.

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Images from our recent visit to the Elan Valley in the Cambrian Mountains of mid-Wales, where we visited the system of dams and reservoirs built there to provide a clean water supply for Birmingham (England!).

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

You can read more about the Elan Valley and its dams and reservoirs by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Caban Coch Dam, Elan Valley. Height: 111 feet, Length: 558 feet, Reservoir Area: 220 Hectares.

View attachment 16702

2. Garreg Ddu Dam, Elan Valley. (Used to regulate supply, most of the dam is submerged).

View attachment 16703

3. Pen y Garreg, Elan Valley. Height: 111 feet, Length: 483 feet, Reservoir Area: 50 Hectares.

View attachment 16704

4. Craig Goch, Elan Valley. Height: 108 feet, Length: 468 feet, Reservoir Area: 88 Hectares.

View attachment 16705

5. Claerwen Dam, Claerwen Valley. Height: 168 feet, Length: 1,005 feet, Reservoir Area: 369 Hectares.

View attachment 16706

6. Dol y Mynach Dam, Claerwen Valley. (The ‘unfinished dam’. Base built but never needed).

View attachment 16707

7. Nant-y-Gro Dam, Elan Valley. Height: 35 feet, Length: 180 feet. (The ‘Dambusters dam’. Originally built to provide a water supply for the construction workforce, it was blown up in 1942 during demolition tests to develop the bouncing bomb, later used in the Dambuster’s Raid of 1943).

View attachment 16708
Impressive set of dams and works. I love the colors and the wide open feeling your images give. We don't get that often here in New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back