Your R System Images - June 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow!!! Those look just fantastic. I especially like the red frame with the gray mat. I will look at Dave Kelly’s site I think he still has an active link to where you can purchase studio 2 from topaz
Hi Hali,

My pleasure!

Good luck with securing a copy of Studio 2. Here is a link to the Topaz: Legacy App Download Area. If you contact Topaz Support, who I've always found to be very helpful and accommodating, they may permit you to purchase a licence?

If it helps, tell them Phil Moore sent you... 😂 😂 😂

(Studio 2 is one of my favourite creative programs - it can do so much more than just framing. I'm really very sorry Topaz decided to discontinue it and I hope that in the future they may reconsider their decision and produce a new version).

Phil

Last edited:
The mountain laurel in our front yard. Canon R7, 18-150 mm RF-S lens, f/13 at 1/160, ISO 200
Hi Cemal,

That's a wonderful companion to send you off/ welcome you home. The colours, shapes and overall effect are all very pleasing to the eye... :)

Thank you for sharing...

P&K

Last edited:
The mountain laurel in our front yard. Canon R7, 18-150 mm RF-S lens, f/13 at 1/160, ISO 200
Beautiful photo, and I always thought that mountain laurel was just white. Live and learn.

Hi Hali,

Your efforts are being richly rewarded. A fascinating image which causes the viewer to pause and look closer. Very nice.

P&K
This is one of the nicest comments anyone has ever given me.. I'm very grateful. I had a feeling this gathering might be a little bit different than the others I frequent as well as one I admin (oh woe is me on that one - ugh - makes me want to go back to work.. hehe..

Thank you both so very much.

Hi Hali,

As promised, some sample framed versions. (I fell at the first hurdle as I couldn't work out how to download the image off here and had to resort to the old 'screen capture ploy', so please bear with any resultant issues with your image).

Should you like any of the frames, note that if you load them into Photoshop (or similar) as a layer you can can add another image as a new layer over the top, then re-size the new layer to fit the frame (hey presto - a framed image! :) ).

Phil

1. Mat colour matched to (top right) flower...

View attachment 16799

2. Textured Mat...

View attachment 16800

3. Frame colour matched to (mid left) flower...

View attachment 16801

4. Textured wide Mat...

View attachment 16802

I may be responding out of sequence, but could you describe this process in a bit more detail. We're still shrugging off the last of the winter and when our beauties start showing their petals I might like to give this a go (if the deer don't eat them first.. ha!)

A couple of early morning photos with my new R7, which we (ok, I, but my wife consented and actually encouraged me 😀) got to use with primarily with the RF100-400. I only got to shoot a few photos the morning after receiving it before I went to work and it has been pouring rain since. My first impressions was that the autofocus was slightly better than the R5 for bird eye tracking. I have been spoiled by my R5 in terms of noise; the R7 isn't bad but I often have to shoot at higher ISOs for bird photos and there is more noise relative to the R5. But either DxO or LRC's new denoise did a nice job with noise.
View attachment 16777

View attachment 16776
These are two of my favorite birds that I don't get to see anymore because geography doesn't accommodate. Thanks for sharing these - great memories attached..

I may be responding out of sequence, but could you describe this process in a bit more detail. We're still shrugging off the last of the winter and when our beauties start showing their petals I might like to give this a go (if the deer don't eat them first.. ha!)
Hi Bob,

No problem. In my original reply I was thinking about how someone who doesn't have a copy of Topaz Studio 2 - which I used to produce the sample digital frames - could yet benefit from 're-using' them for other images.

I've just tried my neat theory out - and, as with most 'very simple ideas', it isn't as easy as it sounded (the sample frames I produced were from a screen capture and the resultant image used was not a standard ratio)... 😂

Anyway, here you go, I used Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. There will probably be multiple ways of doing this, but my Photoshop skills are limited and here's how I did it (note I used images with identical crop ratios) -

1. in Lr C, take the sample framed image and 'Edit In' Photoshop. This loads it into Photoshop...

RF-S-E-1.jpg

2. Return to Lr C, select the new image you want to frame, right click and 'Edit as Smart Object in Photoshop'...

RF-S-E-2.jpg

3. This loads it into Photoshop as a new image with a Smart Object Layer. Drag the Smart Object Layer from this image onto the sample image and drop it (this creates it as a Layer). Next Transform (i.e. re-size) the Smart Object Layer.

RF-S-E-3.jpg

4. Save the image and the sample frame has now been re-used for another image... :)

RF-S-E-1-2.jpg

5. And finally, a sample blank digital frame (ratio 2x3)...

RF-S-E-1-3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back