• Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 3200

Bar-tailed Godwit
Moreton Bay, Queensland

Back from the species's northern breeding grounds – a 9,000 km journey around the western edge of the Pacific – this Bar-tailed Godwit and its companions will stay with us until the March autumn equinox.

Karen & Phil post: 17278 said:
We are wondering whether you stood waist deep in water?
'Get down low!' is the advice given to all shorebird and waterfowl photographers, so I lay prone on the sand, using my elbows to prop the R5 and RF 100–500 (actually 420–700 mm with the 1.4X extender) as low as possible.

With the tide fully out, I was able to wander around the sandflats of western Moreton Bay. I wear kayakers' neoprene 'boots' when venturing out to the birds' feeding grounds.

Refuelling after a long flight …

View attachment 20096

Bar-tailed Godwit
Moreton Bay, Queensland

Back from the species's northern breeding grounds – a 9,000 km journey around the western edge of the Pacific – this Bar-tailed Godwit and its companions will stay with us until the March autumn equinox.

'Get down low!' is the advice given to all shorebird and waterfowl photographers, so I lay prone on the sand, using my elbows to prop the R5 and RF 100–500 (actually 420–700 mm with the 1.4X extender) as low as possible.

With the tide fully out, I was able to wander around the sandflats of western Moreton Bay. I wear kayakers' neoprene 'boots' when venturing out to the birds' feeding grounds.
Hi David,

Top marks there for effort (and preparation) - leading to these wonderful results!

'Look at life from a different angle' is great advice for anyone... :)

P&K

Our final offerings for this month's thread - a few more images from Chester Zoo.

The usual challenges of distorting glass, steamed up glass, steamed up distorting glass, wire fences, low lighting, bright lighting - and fate all applied... :)

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite, Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop and Topaz Labs Photo AI/ Studio 2).

Phil and Karen

1. Tiger Club...

RF-S-C1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 128.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 1600

2. What a bunch of cuties...

RF-S-C2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 1000

3. Hello matey...

RF-S-C3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 145.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

4. Hold it right there...

RF-S-C4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 223.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 4000

5. When animals people watch...

RF-S-C5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 6400

6. Feathers as art...

RF-S-C6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 472.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 2500

7. Sharknado!

RF-S-C7.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200

I do love to see the little goldfinches in the garden, even though they cost me a small fortune in sunflower hearts.

Goldfinch-483A9938-2048px.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 640

I do love to see the little goldfinches in the garden, even though they cost me a small fortune in sunflower hearts.

View attachment 20172
Hi Tim,

A wonderful composition - and bright-eyed subject!

(We haven't seen any goldfinches in our gardens this year).

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Hi Tim,

A wonderful composition - and bright-eyed subject!

(We haven't seen any goldfinches in our gardens this year).

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K
Thanks Phil. Are you using sunflower hearts? We didn’t have any either until we started putting them out. They can’t resist them!

Thanks Phil. Are you using sunflower hearts? We didn’t have any either until we started putting them out. They can’t resist them!
Hi Tim,

I believe the answer to that is ‘no’, but that’s a great tip and I’ll pass it on to our garden wildlife treats supervisor (Karen).

:)

Phil

*** Your R System Images - September 2023 *** Thread Closed…

Another terrific collection of inspirational R System images this month - posted by people all around the world and viewed by people all around the world - we’ve really enjoyed them all. A HUGE ‘thank you’ to the contributors and commentators - your talents and time are appreciated!!

You can continue to post any comments here, but the October thread is now open for all new images (including any additional September material).

Phil and Karen 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

*** Your R System Images - September 2023 *** Thread Closed…

Another terrific collection of inspirational R System images this month - posted by people all around the world and viewed by people all around the world - we’ve really enjoyed them all. A HUGE ‘thank you’ to the contributors and commentators - your talents and time are appreciated!!

You can continue to post any comments here, but the October thread is now open for all new images (including any additional September material).

Phil and Karen 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
And a very big thank you to yourself and Karen for managing the thread so well and providing such great feedback on everyone’s images Phil! It’s certainly appreciated by myself and I’m sure everyone who contributes here too. Roll on October but not too fast! 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back