Your R System Images - August 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing these - looks like a whole bunch of fun! (Some excellent opportunities for practicing your techniques too).

We start the day here with another mediocre forecast and a measly 12°C - a classic British summer... :cool:

(There has to be a nicer balance going on somewhere).

P&K

Fall colors in New England are about 1 month away!
Autumn in New England is my favorite time for photography. My wife and I usually take a long vacation to do leaf peeping and fall photography in several different locations. Hoping this year will bring good color. Here's a few photos from last year.

20221005_3378.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 400

A beautiful turning tree lit by sunset light on the appropriately named Sunset Hill Road in Sugar Hill, New Hampshire

20221006_3943.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 500

Lake Willoughby in Vermont is a glacial lake that is bordered by Mount Pisgah on the east and Mount Hor on the west, providing wonderful color that is lit nicely for the entire day.

20221007_5235-5239_HDR.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • ISO 400

Beaver Lake in Woodstock, New Hampshire provides wonderful reflections on windless days. This photo is an HDR composite since we had a lot of cloud that morning, but the colors and reflections were great.

20221011_9659.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 400

One week later at Beaver Pond, the sun was shining and there was again no wind, allowing vibrant reflections in the pond

20221008_R4819-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • EF300mm f/4L USM +1.4x
  • 420.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 800

Fall color also allows for some nice bird photos, with this blue jay posing nicely in front of the maple and oak trees in our backyard

20221011_0867+0872_FS.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • 65.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 400

Even cemeteries are brightened in autumn: Roxbury Cemetery in Vermont

20221007_5531.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • 65.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 800

The Kancamagus Highway winds through the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire, providing breathtaking color around almost every turn.

Hopefully in 5-6 weeks I'll have a good crop of photos from this autumn...

Fall colors in New England are about 1 month away!
Autumn in New England is my favorite time for photography. My wife and I usually take a long vacation to do leaf peeping and fall photography in several different locations. Hoping this year will bring good color. Here's a few photos from last year.

View attachment 19311
A beautiful turning tree lit by sunset light on the appropriately named Sunset Hill Road in Sugar Hill, New Hampshire

View attachment 19314
Lake Willoughby in Vermont is a glacial lake that is bordered by Mount Pisgah on the east and Mount Hor on the west, providing wonderful color that is lit nicely for the entire day.

View attachment 19315
Beaver Lake in Woodstock, New Hampshire provides wonderful reflections on windless days. This photo is an HDR composite since we had a lot of cloud that morning, but the colors and reflections were great.

View attachment 19316
One week later at Beaver Pond, the sun was shining and there was again no wind, allowing vibrant reflections in the pond

View attachment 19317
Fall color also allows for some nice bird photos, with this blue jay posing nicely in front of the maple and oak trees in our backyard

View attachment 19318
Even cemeteries are brightened in autumn: Roxbury Cemetery in Vermont

View attachment 19319
The Kancamagus Highway winds through the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire, providing breathtaking color around almost every turn.

Hopefully in 5-6 weeks I'll have a good crop of photos from this autumn...
Hi Don,

Magnificent images of an achingly beautiful landscape - good hunting, we're already looking forward to seeing what you may capture this year!

(And what a little cutie that blue jay was too!).

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Masked Lapwing…

Black-shouldered Masked Lapwing : Vanellus miles
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 250

Spring has sprung for a pair of lapwings that I see each day. Yesterday there were two adults guarding a 'nest' (essentially a scrape on the ground) containing four mottled eggs: today the pair were protecting four fluffy youngsters.

Ornithologists might need to correct me but, as far as I know from casual yearly observation rather than academic study, the young are up and away as promptly as any wildebeest calf on the Serengeti.

Be warned: the parents know every stratagem to deter predators (and photographers) from coming too close! They have spurs on their wings and are not afraid to use them. Hint: arm yourself with a long-barrelled Canon if you want a photo.

Masked Lapwing…

View attachment 19327

Spring has sprung for a pair of lapwings that I see each day. Yesterday there were two adults guarding a 'nest' (essentially a scrape on the ground) containing four mottled eggs: today the pair were protecting four fluffy youngsters.

Ornithologists might need to correct me but, as far as I know from casual yearly observation rather than academic study, the young are up and away as promptly as any wildebeest calf on the Serengeti.

Be warned: the parents know every stratagem to deter predators (and photographers) from coming too close! They have spurs on their wings and are not afraid to use them. Hint: arm yourself with a long-barrelled Canon if you want a photo.
Hi David,

A fine example of nature's amazing diversity (and dangers) - thank you for risking life and limb(s) to secure this terrific shot... :)

(Hopefully they don't hold a grudge - or have your address... :LOL:).

P&K

Our last post for August - some images from a recent-ish visit to Chester Zoo, England. (And yes, before you ask - we did get completely soaked... :LOL: ).

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite, Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop and Topaz Labs Studio 2).

Phil and Karen

1. Look deep into my lens...

RF-S-CZ1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 6400

2. Rainy day parade...

RF-S-CZ2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 640

3. Are you pleased to see us...

RF-S-CZ3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 500

4. What a bunch of cuties...

RF-S-CZ4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 125

5. What can you see...

RF-S-CZ5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 343.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 640

6. Fun with feathers (creative re-edit)...

RF-S-CZ6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 363.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 320

Last edited:
Cruise Night brings old cars to Warwick, RI in Oakland Beach. Over the years, we visited several. The following are from our most recent visit to the event. There are more photographs and text in a recent post I wrote on my site. Shot in RAW with an R7 and 18-150 mm kit lens. All processing in Lightroom

General view by the beach

105A1327.jpg

A Chevy BelAir

105A1328.jpg

Another Chevy, a truck

105A1331-Pano.jpg

Cruise Night brings old cars to Warwick, RI in Oakland Beach. Over the years, we visited several. The following are from our most recent visit to the event. There are more photographs and text in a recent post I wrote on my site. Shot in RAW with an R7 and 18-150 mm kit lens. All processing in Lightroom

General view by the beach

View attachment 19342

A Chevy BelAir

View attachment 19343

Another Chevy, a truck

View attachment 19344
Hi Cemal,

Now, that's what we call a target rich environment - what a wonderful variety of colours, shapes and textures (and probably some mechanical growling!).

We particularly like getting in close - as in shots #2 and #3. These immediately grab and hold the viewer's attention. Both are captivating and pleasing.

Looks like a rather pleasant way to pass the time - thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Thank you, P&K, there are even closer shots in the full article, including photographs my wife took. It is indeed a pleasant way to pass time with old-time music in the background, children and families enjoying the outing even with their dogs. We did not touch the cars, but petting the dogs was enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back