Your R System Images - June 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's currently rainy season here in Japan, which also means it's hydrangea season as well. I thought it might be a good time to finally give the focus bracketing a try. Unfortunately, the breeze picked up a little so in the one shot (Hyd2) you can see the halo effect from too much movement. Quite handy, this all in-camera processing--very easy to use. I set the focus increment to 1 and the number of shots to 30, everything enabled
Hyd1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 640
Hyd2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 27.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 320
for both (and used a tripod).

It's currently rainy season here in Japan, which also means it's hydrangea season as well. I thought it might be a good time to finally give the focus bracketing a try. Unfortunately, the breeze picked up a little so in the one shot (Hyd2) you can see the halo effect from too much movement. Quite handy, this all in-camera processing--very easy to use. I set the focus increment to 1 and the number of shots to 30, everything enabled View attachment 17611View attachment 17612for both (and used a tripod).
Hi David,

Two beautiful images showcasing the wonders of nature and the use of focus bracketing (we really must get round to giving this technique a try!).

Thank you for sharing the images and your methodology (the effect of the movement on the second image is noted - and a useful lesson to all)... :)

P&K

I use Lightroom and honestly it's easy to rely on the "auto" button! So I tried pushing my comfort zone a little
Hello Cxizent, I remember watching some Anthony Morganti videos years ago while trying to learn Lightroom and the ALWAYS increased the Shadows slider 100% and decreased the Highlights slider 100%. I thought you was suppose to do that all the time...so, I did. After about 20 episodes he mentions that this sliding to 100% were meant has a learning tool to feel comfortable understanding how that effects a photograph.

You will discover, as I did, that "Auto" is very much like using a "Preset", it is a starting point. But again, it is what you are happy with that matters most.

Great photo.

Hello Cxizent, I remember watching some Anthony Morganti videos years ago while trying to learn Lightroom and the ALWAYS increased the Shadows slider 100% and decreased the Highlights slider 100%. I thought you was suppose to do that all the time...so, I did. After about 20 episodes he mentions that this sliding to 100% were meant has a learning tool to feel comfortable understanding how that effects a photograph.

You will discover, as I did, that "Auto" is very much like using a "Preset", it is a starting point. But again, it is what you are happy with that matters most.

Great photo.
Thankyou very much! I'm having fun learning a new tool honestly - I've come from colour grading video in Da Vinci Resolve, so I've been struggling moving from a lighting waveform monitor to the histogram in Lightroom, but just grabbing all the sliders one by one and seeing "what does this thing do?" has been a brilliant part of the learning process lol

‘The Knife Angel’ - a monument created from over 100,000 seized blades to highlight the negative effects of violent behaviour and remember those lost to violent crime - has been visiting one of our local towns (Nuneaton) during June.

You can find out more about The Knife Angel by clicking Here.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

Phil and Karen

RF-S-KA-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

RF-S-KA-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 250

RF-S-KA-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 34.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1250

Last edited:
7305081E-4B46-446D-82D4-2306D3CFB63A.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
  • 52.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 320

Seven shot panorama from the Desert View lookout. Far eastern end of the Grand Canyon where the Colorado River turns north. Developed in DPP4, stitched in Affinity Photo with a touch of the haze removal filter applied (works wonders).

Seven shot panorama from the Desert View lookout. Far eastern end of the Grand Canyon where the Colorado River turns north. Developed in DPP4, stitched in Affinity Photo with a touch of the haze removal filter applied (works wonders).

This is insane! I love how you can clearly see the bars of shadow that the clouds are leaving across the terrain, and the diagonal line of the river lining up with the edge of the foreground is really drawing me in to the image. This is really spectacular!

View attachment 17639

Hi Stephen,

Another truly epic landscape - we feel like we're about to fall through the monitor screen into it!

Well worth all the effort you put in to creating it - a wonderful memory beautifully captured... :)

P&K

Our last entry for this month's thread - we're about to head off on an extended trip in our camper van ('Frank' :)).

As we ambled through our local woods on Monday morning Karen spotted 2 owlets in the trees, with an adult overseeing them (and us!). For once we didn't have a camera with us ( :eek: :rolleyes: ), so I went back mid-morning and, after some extended crashing about in the foliage, got shots of one owlet and the adult (the other owlet seems to have already gone on an 'avoiding being photographed' course). Extreme range and angles (and ineptitude) apply - but here you go...

Phil

Hello Mateys...

RF-S-Wk-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 5000

RF-S-Wk-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 4000

Last edited:
I love that baby owl photo!! Such big black glossy eyes, and the light hitting all the edges of his fluff is too cute, I can't even

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back