Your R System Images - June 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bob,

Not sure who you're replying to without a quote - and those cats are VERY cute! - but on behalf of everyone it could be, Cheers - appreciated! :)

P&K
Thanks - I deleted it - it wouldn't 'add' no matter what I did.

Thanks - I deleted it - it wouldn't 'add' no matter what I did.
Hi Bob,

Technology eh? No problem at all there - any non-aligned praise will be gratefully received... :D

P&K

One from this morning's wood walk - a bright start after a thorough drenching last night produced the vaguest hint of angel beams.

I tried to make things pop in post and kind-of got something - anyway here you go, good morning from Warwickshire, England... :)

(Shot raw and edited using: Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop, DxO Nik Collection and Topaz Studio 2).

Phil

RF-S-W-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

Today's bird is the pīwakawaka, or fantail (Rhipidura fuliginosa). I actually went out to photograph swallows, but they'd decided to go somewhere else, and so I had to make do with these little fellows. They are very obliging poseurs, but very difficult to capture in flight because they are consummate flutterers and darters, chasing insects on the wing. Working on it...

021A0056.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 428.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 1000
021A0055.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 428.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 1000
021A0036.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1250
021A0038.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1250

Today's bird is the pīwakawaka, or fantail (Rhipidura fuliginosa). I actually went out to photograph swallows, but they'd decided to go somewhere else, and so I had to make do with these little fellows. They are very obliging poseurs, but very difficult to capture in flight because they are consummate flutterers and darters, chasing insects on the wing. Working on it...

View attachment 17203View attachment 17202View attachment 17201View attachment 17200
Hi Gareth,

Small, fast and skittish birds are always a real challenge (at least for us anyway) - so these are terrific captures, with great fine feather detail and nice eye catch-light. (And what a bunch of little cuties!).

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

One from yesterday morning's early wood walk - I was chatting with Karen, hadn't taken my camera out of my sling pack, the camera settings were all over the place and we found ourselves looking at a wild stag Muntjac deer... :rolleyes:

I kept it busy with a quick 'hello matey' as I wrestled my camera out and got a couple of quick shots before it ambled off, appalled by my lack of preparedness. Despite my best efforts the camera did OK, but with ISO up at 6400.

Shot raw, I tried Lightroom Denoise and Topaz Photo AI (manual tweaking of the settings), but preferred the results from DxO DeepPRIME XD which can be seen in the below image entitled 'Patient deer photographed by an idiot'.

Anyway, the punch line is that, undeterred, I did exactly the same thing when I did my mid-morning wood walk (minus Karen, but engrossed in an audio book) - sigh... 😂

Phil

RF-S-Wk-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

RF-S-Wk-1-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 4000

Last edited:
A great crested grebe at Carsington Water in the Peak District. The 7.5 mile circular walk around the reservoir is lovely at this time of year.

Great-Credted-Grebe-483A9392-2048px.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 1000

A great crested grebe at Carsington Water in the Peak District. The 7.5 mile circular walk around the reservoir is lovely at this time of year.

View attachment 17216
Hi Tim,

A great capture of a beautiful creature, rather tricky to photograph too (talk about dynamic range!). Thank you for sharing... :)

We cycled a good part of the Carsington Water route last August on our way to/ from the nearby Tissington Trail and Haddon Hall - and you're right, it is very pleasant. The water levels looked to be quite well down at the time of our visit.

P&K

RF-S-CW-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 125

Images from a recent visit to Brecon, Powys, Wales.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop).

You can find out more about Brecon Cathedral by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Brecon Cathedral Church of St John the Evangelist began as a Benedictine Priory in 1093. It is a breathtakingly delightful place - and photography is actively encouraged!

View attachment 17125

2. It was built by the Normans on the site of an earlier Celtic church. At the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537 it became Brecon’s Parish Church, and was eventually designated as a Cathedral in 1923.

View attachment 17126

3. There is a wealth of history waiting to be uncovered within. (You may recall Welsh archers met at Tretower Castle before heading off to fight alongside King Henry V).

View attachment 17127

4. Talybont Dam and Reservoir (which we cycled to and around - the climb up the hill on the far side was a never-ending, leg killing, gradual grind, but on the plus side what a descent!!! :D). Construction of the dam began in 1931.

View attachment 17128

5. The site of the Pen-y-Crug Iron Age Hillfort, just outside of - and overlooking - Brecon. The fort was defended by a series of ditches which are still in clear evidence today. ‘The Crug’ hill is 331 metes in height.

View attachment 17129

(Sources: Brecon Cathedral, WIKIPEDIA)
Wonderful photos. I love how you captured the lines and colors of the church. Stained glass is always beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back