Your R System Images - June 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful photos. I love how you captured the lines and colors of the church. Stained glass is always beautiful
Hi Don,

Cheers - much appreciated!

It was a fantastic place to explore - as we walked in we were greeted by a gentleman who said 'a very warm welcome, please take as many photographs of our Cathedral as you want and share them to encourage others to visit us'. :)

P&K

Hanging around yesterday afternoon waiting for the garage to tell us our camper van was ready for collection and got to playing with a recent image from Chester Zoo (tune-in for more next month!). Thought I'd share some results here...

Software used (for the creative bit) - DxO Nik Collection and Topaz Studio 2.

Phil

Original edit (Karen's image of a Sumatran Tiger) and some options...

RF-S-RE-1-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 800

Same principle, hanging around this morning waiting to start loading our camper van for this weekend's trip and got playing with a (fairly mediocre) shot from a recent morning walk. I quite like the 'electric skies' effect, so here you go...

(Main creative changes engineered using Topaz Studio 2).

Phil

RF-S-2-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

A great capture of a beautiful creature, rather tricky to photograph too (talk about dynamic range!). Thank you for sharing... :)

We cycled a good part of the Carsington Water route last August on our way to/ from the nearby Tissington Trail and Haddon Hall - and you're right, it is very pleasant. The water levels looked to be quite well down at the time of our visit.
Cheers Phil. I met a non photo shooting friend there for a walk so didn't get to shoot as much as I would of liked. Will definitely be going back though! Definitely a nice cycling route as well. Now I just need to encourage our young boys to cycle :)

Haven’t gotten home yet. Used the in camera raw processing on the following. The first is Desert View Watchtower at Grand Canyon National Park with a well timed (but fast moving) Raven in frame. The second is Horseshoe Bend. As I’m typically limited to travel during family vacation time, I could not be there during sunset, which many try for. But we were blessed with light in the Canyon and distant rain showers creating an amazing scene. Looking forward to getting home and playing with the light and shadows to do the scene justice.

BD0C98C2-CE6E-4F59-82D0-65B459FB726C.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
  • 33.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 200

1AABA88A-F9F6-49CD-B559-E9087D630AA8.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 100

Another view point along the rim trail. Experimenting with the in camera raw processing again.

469743EC-E25C-4859-A055-FF7FF244A33F.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 125

Last edited:
Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona, AZ. Focus was intentional on the foreground flower. An f/2.8 would have been nice here, but the 24-240 is so great for travel.

260A4FFB-D421-45B7-891E-60D4016EC1EE.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100

A couple of images form a walk along the Grand Union Canal. One of them was a cooperative subject and the other would just not stay still!

That's a cracking shot of the dragonfly. I've spent many happy - and frustrating - hours by our garden pond struggling to get a shot that good. I have found that if you're patient and watchful, some of them will fly repeated patterns with pauses in the same spots, so you can line things up. Doesn't always work, and not all species will do it all the time, but it does help. If I'm honest (and don't tell SWMBO) it's one of the main reasons I traded in the RF 600 f11 against the RF100-500, to get the closer focussing.

Here's one from last summer (Procordulia grayi - yellow-spotted dragonfly - NZ native):

20221116-021A7683.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 3200

Thanks @Bucolic Old Sir Henry. I was lucky it was flying back and forth along the same stretch of canal, so I was able to use animal eye tracking af, which once I'd found the subject (not so easy) it stuck pretty well - it was blazing hot (not a common phrase associated with the UK) at around 11:00 with no cloud, so would be difficulty to get much brighter conditions. In hind sight (always 20/20) I should have upped the ISO a bit more and closed the aperture a touch to get a bit better depth - that's for another day. Your yellow-spotted dragonfly is good too - a harder capture that mine I suspect because of the head on view.

A couple of images form a walk along the Grand Union Canal. One of them was a cooperative subject and the other would just not stay still!
Hi Julian,

Two excellent shots, well seen and captured. The dragonfly is exceptional (and shades it as our favourite!). Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back