Your R System Images - March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another visit from the Sparrowhawk this afternoon. It stayed for around 20 minutes, but was in a part of the garden that is quite difficult to photograph.
It had seen a bird, blue tit I think underneath him inside the thorny haven that protected it. The hawk tried several attempts at getting in, but being a bigger bird found it impossible. It was quite a sight to see. Still very pleased its visited again.View attachment 26663View attachment 26664
Hi Nick,

Terrific captures of a truly magnificent creature - 'the look' in image #1 would surely give any potential victim the most intense and vivid of nightmares.

(Not a great time to be dish of the day on the menu!).

Thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Yeah, a wild mammal for a change. Caught this Japanese weasel, itachi (イタチ), about to crawl back into the undergrowth.View attachment 26667
Hi David,

A great spot/ capture of this wonderful creature - terrific fur detail (a beautiful range of colours) and the perfect eye catch-light.

P&K

Far Eastern Curlew : Moreton Bay, Queensland
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1250

Time to fly? Within a month, the Far Eastern Curlews of Moreton Bay will be gone, flying north to China, Korea, Kamchatka and Siberia.

View attachment 26702

Time to fly? Within a month, the Far Eastern Curlews of Moreton Bay will be gone, flying north to China, Korea, Kamchatka and Siberia.
Hi David,

A terrific capture of this fascinating and beautiful creature - finely timed to nail a pleasing pose with well presented feather detail and spot-on eye-pop.

(Whichever of those destinations is chosen - it's going to be a major long-haul journey).

P&K

Mr & Mrs enjoying Sunday brunch.

View attachment 26723
Hi RW,

A fascinating 'family shot', with terrific detail on the main subject, pleasing eye-pop on both and a satisfyingly creamy/ warm toned background.

They both seem very content with the hospitality on offer too (and well done for that)... :)

Well caught - and thank you for sharing!

P&K

Hi RW,

A fascinating 'family' shot, with terrific detail on the main subject, pleasing eye-pop on both and a satisfyingly creamy/ warm toned background.

They both seem very content with the hospitality on offer too (and well done for that)... :)

Well caught - and thank you for sharing!

P&K
We set the feeder out a couple of weeks ago and it took a while to attract anything. It has become populated most mornings now but when I was trying to sneak out to get photos, they would always flutter away.
Yesterday, I set up my tripod, placed the camera and connected with my phone (Canon Connect). This allowed me to not interrupt their meal and capture some nice shots from the comfort of my kitchen.
It felt like cheating, in a way, but I figure it is less stressful for them and me. ;)
Thank you, as always, for the kind words.

We set the feeder out a couple of weeks ago and it took a while to attract anything. It has become populated most mornings now but when I was trying to sneak out to get photos, they would always flutter away.
Yesterday, I set up my tripod, placed the camera and connected with my phone (Canon Connect). This allowed me to not interrupt their meal and capture some nice shots from the comfort of my kitchen.
It felt like cheating, in a way, but I figure it is less stressful for them and me. ;)
Thank you, as always, for the kind words.
Hi RW,

A very productive technique - the skill here lies in seeing the opportunity, thoughtful and considerate planning and preparation, then sitting back with a coffee.

Work smart, not hard!

:)

Phil

Some relatively recent photos:
The Bank of America Building in downtown Boston. The building was completed in 1971 and was the headquarters for what was then the First National Bank of Boston. It gained the local nickname of "The Pregnant Building" since several lower floors are wider than the base and top of the tower. The intent was to provide pedestrians a wider view of the street but also to provide additional office floor space.
My father worked for the First National Bank and successor companies for 40 years and spent much of his time working in this building. His office was on the 14th floor, which is the top floor of the "pregnancy bulge".
20240203_7098.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 800

The spiral staircase in the Old State House in Boston, Massachusetts. This was taken from the upper floor of the staircase and looks down to the basement level. Built in 1713, the Old State House was the seat of the Massachusetts Colonial and State governments until 1798, when the current State House was constructed. This is now maintained as a historical museum of the American Revolution and represents the oldest preserved public building in Boston. While you are immersed in history, reminders of modern life are inescapable, as you can feel the subway line rumbling under the building...
20240211_7311_NR.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/13 sec
  • ISO 3200

Some bird and animal friends in the backyard. First up a dark-eyed junco on a branch near our feeder. Juncos usually eat off the ground and rarely spend much time on or near the feeders and are usually very passive. This junco seemed quite upset about the goldfinches and other birds blocking his access to the feeder and was displaying and cheeping away. Now you know what a junco's tongue looks like...
20240204R7_6421.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 800

20240204R7_6445.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 800

A grey squirrel munching on some grass
20240204R7_5512.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 800

A black-capped chickadee stopped long enough to pose
20240308_7697.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800

And on a cold day, this white-breasted nuthatch was all puffed up to keep warm
20240308_7966.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF800mm F11 IS STM
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800

Some relatively recent photos:
The Bank of America Building in downtown Boston. The building was completed in 1971 and was the headquarters for what was then the First National Bank of Boston. It gained the local nickname of "The Pregnant Building" since several lower floors are wider than the base and top of the tower. The intent was to provide pedestrians a wider view of the street but also to provide additional office floor space.
My father worked for the First National Bank and successor companies for 40 years and spent much of his time working in this building. His office was on the 14th floor, which is the top floor of the "pregnancy bulge".
View attachment 26734

The spiral staircase in the Old State House in Boston, Massachusetts. This was taken from the upper floor of the staircase and looks down to the basement level. Built in 1713, the Old State House was the seat of the Massachusetts Colonial and State governments until 1798, when the current State House was constructed. This is now maintained as a historical museum of the American Revolution and represents the oldest preserved public building in Boston. While you are immersed in history, reminders of modern life are inescapable, as you can feel the subway line rumbling under the building...
View attachment 26735

Some bird and animal friends in the backyard. First up a dark-eyed junco on a branch near our feeder. Juncos usually eat off the ground and rarely spend much time on or near the feeders and are usually very passive. This junco seemed quite upset about the goldfinches and other birds blocking his access to the feeder and was displaying and cheeping away. Now you know what a junco's tongue looks like...
View attachment 26736

View attachment 26737

A grey squirrel munching on some grass
View attachment 26738

A black-capped chickadee stopped long enough to pose
View attachment 26739

And on a cold day, this white-breasted nuthatch was all puffed up to keep warm
View attachment 26740
Hi Don,

A splendid haul of images - an eye-popping building, to die for staircase and a bunch of little cuties (the architectural backstories are absolutely fascinating).

Tough calls, but our favourites are (just) the mesmerising and extremely arty staircase - and that smile inducing, angelic squirrel.

Well seen and very well captured all-round - thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back